The Student Room Group

Engineering Universities in Scotland

I am about to apply for either a masters in Electrical and Mechanical eng or just masters in mechanical eng. I’m unsure of what Scottish university is the best for this. My top choices are Strathclyde, edinburgh and glasgow. Generally Strathclyde is ranked lower than the other two but specific to engineering it can be seen as the same. What uni out of these three would be the most desirable to attend on the account of teaching quality, graduate prospects as well as uni location etc. thanks
Original post by innymag
I am about to apply for either a masters in Electrical and Mechanical eng or just masters in mechanical eng. I’m unsure of what Scottish university is the best for this. My top choices are Strathclyde, edinburgh and glasgow. Generally Strathclyde is ranked lower than the other two but specific to engineering it can be seen as the same. What uni out of these three would be the most desirable to attend on the account of teaching quality, graduate prospects as well as uni location etc. thanks

Hey @innymag :biggrin: Our Engineering faculty has a really strong reputation (we're the largest Engineering faculty in Scotland), so we have very popular courses. We offer the combined Electrical & Mechanical programme as well as Mechanical Engineering if you're interested in both. Our Engineering degrees are very successful and well linked with industry so you have lots of opportunities to develop your career. The formula student competition is very popular, for example :smile: We also have a great location as we're right in the heart of Glasgow. If you're looking to study and live in a large city then we could be a good fit.

Have you been able to visit any universities yet? Open days or visit days are great ways to get to know a campus and ask questions to teaching staff about specific things around the course. Universities also host virtual events (e.g. we run webinars) to give you a flavour for life there. You could also search for Unibuddies on our websites to see if you can chat with any current students who could share their experience :shakehand:

Future employers won't hire you based on the ranking of your University so try not to focus too much on that in terms of making your decision. Make sure it's the right one for you!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest