The Student Room Group

Glasgow Student Jobs

I’m applying to study mechanical engineering at the uni of Glasgow, and wanted to ask from those more experienced than me if finding a job at 18 is hard to do in Glasgow compared to other places?
Reply 1
There are lots of part-time jobs in the many restaurants and pubs in Glasgow.
Original post by Johntaq
I’m applying to study mechanical engineering at the uni of Glasgow, and wanted to ask from those more experienced than me if finding a job at 18 is hard to do in Glasgow compared to other places?

Hey @Johntaq :biggrin: Yes absolutely, Glasgow's a great place for part time work.

For me personally, I studied here and had lots of different jobs throughout my 5 year degree. I worked in retail on Buchanan St, in an insurance call centre, for the tourist board and also worked full time in the tourism industry over summer. I have friends who worked in cafes, restaurants and bars. The most popular option is probably retail. Glasgow is Scotland's largest city so there's a lot on offer for students in general, and employers tend to be quite flexible. It's usually easy enough to find small contracts (8-14 hours) that work around your uni life.

There's also lots of opportunities for ad-hoc style work across hospitality. And you should also check out Glasgow Uni's student ambassador scheme to see if they offer paid opportunities to work on campus at open days or in outlets on campus (e.g. their student unions) :smile:

I'd say you'll find a job to fit around your study quite easily here!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending