The Student Room Group

University Tips and Tricks

Hi Everyone!

Hope you're all adjusting to Uni life nicely. Has anyone got any tips and tricks yet, or do any 2nd/3rd years have some wisdom to give to the 1st years?

I would recommend keeping up to date with your Uni's facilities (especially SU buildings) as we have a Microwave and hot water tap which means you can have hot meals on campus. Life saver if you've got leftovers :biggrin:

Pip
Original post by BU Student Rep
Hi Everyone!

Hope you're all adjusting to Uni life nicely. Has anyone got any tips and tricks yet, or do any 2nd/3rd years have some wisdom to give to the 1st years?

I would recommend keeping up to date with your Uni's facilities (especially SU buildings) as we have a Microwave and hot water tap which means you can have hot meals on campus. Life saver if you've got leftovers :biggrin:

Pip

Hi there!

Love this tip @BU Student Rep ! I've definitely been making use of the microwave at my uni!

A tip I have is: buy yourself a shopping trolley! Yes, the pull along granny trolleys. I use mine for my food shopping, but also to take my work into uni. I study a creative course, so I always have equipment and sketchbooks to take into uni. My trolley saves my shoulders from carrying heavy bags. And I promise they're not just for grandmas!

Hope this helps some of you out!
Emily :smile:
Hi Everyone!

Pip

This is a great thread!

I am a final year Psychology student. Adding onto these great tips from @BU Student Rep and @BCU Student Rep I would say make yourself aware of the services available to you at university and make use of them! This includes academic, pastoral and careers support.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi Everyone!

Pip

I would say to remember to take time for yourself. 1st year can be very overwhelming, so if you feel like you need a day off, take it and do something for yourself and decompress. It will help in the long run!

Also, do your laundry and don't let it pile up, trust me, nothing is worse than having to do multiple loads in one day and not having anything to wear :smile:

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)
Original post by Durham Students
I would say to remember to take time for yourself. 1st year can be very overwhelming, so if you feel like you need a day off, take it and do something for yourself and decompress. It will help in the long run!

Also, do your laundry and don't let it pile up, trust me, nothing is worse than having to do multiple loads in one day and not having anything to wear :smile:

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Hey Ghala!

You’re so right - I had most Wednesdays free in first year and I used it for cleaning my room, doing a shop and just resetting myself by doing any jobs I had to be done. Definitely worth it!

Thanks for all the great tips everyone 🥰

Pip
Absolutely, settling into university life can be challenging, but it's also an exciting time of growth and discovery. Here are some tips from experienced students:

Time Management: Use planners or apps to organize assignments and social events. Balancing your time is key.

Get Involved: Join clubs, societies, or sports teams. It's a great way to make friends and discover new interests.

Ask for Help: Don't hesitate to ask questions, whether in class or about university services. People are willing to assist you.

Self-Care: Prioritize your well-being. Get enough sleep, exercise, and take breaks to relax and recharge.

Explore Academically: Take diverse courses outside your major. It might lead to unexpected passions and connections.

Network: Build relationships with professors and peers. Networking can open doors for future opportunities.

Budget Wisely: Be mindful of your finances. University life can be expensive, so budget and save where you can.

Stay Positive: Embrace challenges as learning opportunities. Stay positive, and don't be too hard on yourself.

Remember, everyone adjusts at their own pace. Don't compare your journey to others', and enjoy the unique experience university life offers you!

Good Luck!
Fatima
Student Rep

Hi Everyone!

Pip

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending