The Student Room Group

Unsure about uni

I have joined Loughborough university to study product design and technology. It is a bachelors of science and I’m already struggling with the content in first year. I am also unhappy with being in a campus uni, like with it being such a small town and I don’t play sport I feel like this uni isn’t for me. It is very good uni for the course I study hence why I chose it. But now I’m here I can’t stop thinking that I would be happier somewhere else. I took a year out last year as I wanted to travel and had a great time so if I hadn’t taken a year out I think it would of re applied for next year but as I have I don’t want to be 2 years behind in my university journey. Any advice would help like the uni experiance isn’t awful like I do enjoy it but it’s not incredibly especially compared to my friends at other unis.
Anon,

Are you thinking about somewhere else in particular?

It's difficult when you are hearing from different friends about their university experiences to not compare your situation, but it is important to be in the right place for you and the career you want to pursue. There will be advantages and disadvantages wherever you go, so it is important to focus on what matters to you i.e. your course.

Have you been able to find some societies to join which aren't related to sport?
Have you tried going to some of the nearby cities? Towns can be great places for studying but it can be nice to get to a city once in awhile. Perhaps going to Leicester or Nottingham sometimes might help?

You might also be finding it difficult to settle as you travelled last year and may have moved around a lot or have constantly been meeting new people and going to interesting places. It might feel a bit strange to be in the same place and to be having less adventures as it were, but sometimes life can be a bit ordinary and it's not necessarily a bad thing!

Things might be very exciting at the moment for your friends at other unis but it's likely that things will calm down a bit during second year, so try not to compare yourself. It might be worthwhile seeing how you feel at the end of first year before making any hasty decisions. If you are happy with most things, it might be best to stay.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have joined Loughborough university to study product design and technology. It is a bachelors of science and I’m already struggling with the content in first year. I am also unhappy with being in a campus uni, like with it being such a small town and I don’t play sport I feel like this uni isn’t for me. It is very good uni for the course I study hence why I chose it. But now I’m here I can’t stop thinking that I would be happier somewhere else. I took a year out last year as I wanted to travel and had a great time so if I hadn’t taken a year out I think it would of re applied for next year but as I have I don’t want to be 2 years behind in my university journey. Any advice would help like the uni experiance isn’t awful like I do enjoy it but it’s not incredibly especially compared to my friends at other unis.

Hi there,

It can be tricky in first year sometimes, I also struggled a bit in first year so I thought I'd give you my input.

Firstly, I would say that if you are unsure about staying at your uni or moving, I would look into other universities that you may prefer to go to as there is no harm in looking around and seeing if there was somewhere else you would prefer. It's worth looking into other universities that aren't campus based if this is what you aren't enjoying about where you are now!

I would also say talk to your tutors, or if you have a personal tutor then try and make an appointment with them to discuss how you are feeling and what options you have.You could also talk to family and friends to see what they think.

I would say that I started university 2 years later than other people and it wasn't a problem for me at all! I was 20 when I started but I didn't have trouble making friends because I was older and nobody really thinks about how old you are. 18-21 is such a small age gap anyway that it isn't noticeable at uni so don't worry about this. Don't let this hold you back from applying somewhere else as you might have a better time at a different uni and it's not worth not looking into this because of the age gap.

Are there any other societies that aren't sports related that you could join? It's tricky if everyone is into sports but I'm sure you aren't the only one who doesn't play a sport! It can also be tricky sometimes in a campus based uni as it's easy to stay in the same place and not venture out so I'd also recommend trying to visit nearby cities more as this might be fun!

I hope some of this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador :smile:
If a campus uni is not for you then it makes sense to change unis and perhaps go to somewhere like Manchester or Newcastle. Take time to consider what it is you actually want to study at uni - you seem a bit lost
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi,

I would first really do your research before you think about moving universities, as I know plenty of people who started their BA at other universities and then were placed in their second year. These students often described themselves as being more unsettled than at their previous universities, as they had less time to get to know everyone and had to adapt and catch up quickly.

I would say reach out to tutors or lecturers to discuss how you feel with someone else, as even just talking about it and getting others' advice can lift a weight off your shoulders. If lecturers know you are struggling with content, they can advise best on how to move forward from this, even if it is catch-up sessions or better steering you to appropriate literature that can help you progress.

I would say speak to your family and explore ways of getting to know your town better to see if you could explore other places and hobbies there. Explore all the societies and local areas to see if there is anything else or where else that is more closely related to your interests.

I hope this helps,
Jade
University of Sunderland Ambassador
BA Photography Video and Digital Imaging
Current PGCE in Primary Education

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending