The Student Room Group

Personal Statement - Part time job

I’m currently writing my personal statement and I want to include my part time job for work experience. I work as a cleaner for doctors surgeries and I’m applying to uni for primary education. How would I structure this part of my personal statement and how does it relate to teaching?
Original post by abigail022
I’m currently writing my personal statement and I want to include my part time job for work experience. I work as a cleaner for doctors surgeries and I’m applying to uni for primary education. How would I structure this part of my personal statement and how does it relate to teaching?

Hi @abigail022

Firstly, I am so excited you are choosing a degree in Education, that is amazing!

Although your job as a cleaner doesn't directly link to teaching, the skills you need and would have developed while working are important.

For example, time management. In order to be successful in any role you must have good time management and punctuality. I assume for a cleaning job you have a certain amount of time to complete so many tasks and to a good standard. The skill this involves very much relates to teaching. You have a timetable you have to stick to and certain objectives you must reach in every lesson.

There will be other skills I'm sure that will make you, specifically, great at your job. Focus on those skills and how they can relate to a teaching job.

I wish you all the best!

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending