The Student Room Group

Study Abroad Turing Scheme?

Just been offered a place to study abroad in America. My university is being very vague about if they've secured funding and they won't disclose their threshold for who gets it until Summer. The total for this study placement is £12,000 so it's too much without this funding as my family can't support this.

But, they are asking for me to make a decision on if I'm accepting the place by next week. Is this normal or should I press for more info?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by mcm0
Just been offered a place to study abroad in America. My university is being very vague about if they've secured funding and they won't disclose their threshold for who gets it until Summer. The total for this study placement is £12,000 so it's too much without this funding as my family can't support this.
But, they are asking for me to make a decision on if I'm accepting the place by next week. Is this normal or should I press for more info?
Hi there,

Congratulations on being offered a place to study in America! I am currently on my exchange in Montana, and I have had a great time so far.

In my experience, this seems normal. I accepted my placement long before I applied for the Turing Scheme funding. I made my application to be considered for funding in early August, found out I was successful in late September, and only received the first installment of that funding mid-October. However, it wouldn't hurt to ask for more information from your university to see how likely it would be that you would receive some funding. They are usually very vague as it can't be guaranteed, but I think it would be worth asking.

£12,000 seems like a lot - are you still applying for student loans? Have you looked into other scholarships/funding that might be available for you? It might be a good idea to start a fundraiser (if that is possible for you), which many students do and is a good way to get some extra money for your experience if you aren't eligible for any other funding.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any other questions about funding or study abroad!

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending