The Student Room Group

I haven’t done any extra-curricular activities

I’m applying for psychology at uni and so far
I am working on my personal statement on uni frog but the last section states that I should talk about what I have done that could contribute to the university community so they’re asking me to talk about hobbies, leisure activities, responsibilities I’ve held but i don’t have any?? Plus the ones I did have (which was like when I was 6 years old) obviously don’t matter and cannot be linked to psychology. A hobby of mine is reading books but I have already stated and gave examples of different psychological books I’ve read to build my knowledge of the subject. What do I do?
Original post by ldtr7x
I am working on my personal statement on uni frog but the last section states that I should talk about what I have done that could contribute to the university community so they’re asking me to talk about hobbies, leisure activities, responsibilities I’ve held but i don’t have any?? Plus the ones I did have (which was like when I was 6 years old) obviously don’t matter and cannot be linked to psychology. A hobby of mine is reading books but I have already stated and gave examples of different psychological books I’ve read to build my knowledge of the subject. What do I do?

While it is important to include some things like this on your personal statement, universities in the UK at least do not tend to put such heavy weighting on this aspect of your application. I think that section should be completely separate to the subject you want to study, so you could talk about reading books on different subjects - non-fiction etc. It doesn't have to be a formal hobby or class that you go to, you can talk about food, meeting friends, going for walks. Think more generally about things that you enjoy outside of psychology, and do not worry too much about this aspect of your personal statement because it is not the main part.
Good luck with your application,
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
While it is important to include some things like this on your personal statement, universities in the UK at least do not tend to put such heavy weighting on this aspect of your application. I think that section should be completely separate to the subject you want to study, so you could talk about reading books on different subjects - non-fiction etc. It doesn't have to be a formal hobby or class that you go to, you can talk about food, meeting friends, going for walks. Think more generally about things that you enjoy outside of psychology, and do not worry too much about this aspect of your personal statement because it is not the main part.
Good luck with your application,
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Thank you so much!!
Original post by ldtr7x

Psychology is an academic degree. You don’t need to waste space talking about hobbies when you could be putting in more details on your academic interests and activities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending