The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

If I'm predicted AAA is it wise to apply to a uni asking for A*AA/ A*A*A or am I wasting choices
It’s usually recommended to have at least one choice above your predictions.
Reply 2
so having AAA and applying to A*A*A isn't too big of a jump?
Reply 3
There's no guarantee you'll get an offer, but if you don't apply you definitely won't get an offer, so it's worth a shot - just make sure you put down some safer options as well
Reply 4
Original post by clolikx

Which degree and which uni? If it's a popular course and your predictions are two grades below then you risk instant rejection.
Reply 5
Original post by yogo1o
There's no guarantee you'll get an offer, but if you don't apply you definitely won't get an offer, so it's worth a shot - just make sure you put down some safer options as well

Yeah I definitely have safety options, my other 4 choices are AAA and one AAB! Just wanted to know if it was even worth it to apply or just a complete waste of a choice.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Which degree and which uni? If it's a popular course and your predictions are two grades below then you risk instant rejection.

It's chemical engineering for imperial...😭 now that I'm saying it out loud it does seem silly tbh
Original post by clolikx

One grade below is often fine, (although you need to take into account the popularity of the uni and general competitiveness of the subject). 2 is definitely a stretch and I would not normally recommend applying unless it is a uni that you are very keen on and are comfortable with it being high risk.

Although as me and PQ are fond of saying, if you get 5 offers then you probably didn't aim high enough.

When unis express their offers as A*AA-A*A*A they often mean that the lower requirement is for contextual eligible applicants. The majority of successful ones receive the higher grade offer. If you use their contextual checking tool/info then you may find that the lower requirement would apply to you.
Reply 8
Original post by clolikx
It's chemical engineering for imperial...😭 now that I'm saying it out loud it does seem silly tbh

I'd avoid Imperial anyway ... it's not a great place for student support. Two grades below is likely to be a rejection from there.
Reply 9
Original post by Admit-One
One grade below is often fine, (although you need to take into account the popularity of the uni and general competitiveness of the subject). 2 is definitely a stretch and I would not normally recommend applying unless it is a uni that you are very keen on and are comfortable with it being high risk.

Although as me and PQ are fond of saying, if you get 5 offers then you probably didn't aim high enough.

When unis express their offers as A*AA-A*A*A they often mean that the lower requirement is for contextual eligible applicants. The majority of successful ones receive the higher grade offer. If you use their contextual checking tool/info then you may find that the lower requirement would apply to you.

Thank you!
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
I'd avoid Imperial anyway ... it's not a great place for student support. Two grades below is likely to be a rejection from there.

Ah fair enough, I guess I do keep hearing everyone over there is depressed 😭😭 maybe this is a sign, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest