The Student Room Group

Single or Dual Nursing at Uni? Starting in 2024

Hi everyone! I’m applying for Uni this November, and thinking of taking either a single Adult Nursing course or a dual Adult and Mental Health nursing course.

For the Adult Nursing course, I would go to Surrey, Southampton, Brighton or Nottingham.

For the Adult & MH dual course, I know that Southampton and Exeter both offer this course at the entry requirements of ABB/BBB, which I am predicted.

I've read up on each of the Uni websites giving a description of their course, but could any nursing students from these unis, give their advice about their experience, whether that be single or dual Nursing?

I'd really appreciate if you could comment on:

- the highs & lows of your course so far
- Placement experience - (extra: if anyone’s done a MH placement where you placed and what was it like? )
- Transport to placement - (extra: did the uni give any travel discounts for this?)
- Exam style? (eg. Essays, multiple choice?)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for your help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Julie_K.8
Hi everyone! I’m applying for Uni this November, and thinking of taking either a single Adult Nursing course or a dual Adult and Mental Health nursing course.

For the Adult Nursing course, I would go to Surrey, Southampton, Brighton or Nottingham.

For the Adult & MH dual course, I know that Southampton and Exeter both offer this course at the entry requirements of ABB/BBB, which I am predicted.

I've read up on each of the Uni websites giving a description of their course, but could any nursing students from these unis, give their advice about their experience, whether that be single or dual Nursing?

- Placement experience - (extra: if anyone’s done a MH placement where you placed and what was it like? )
- Transport to placement - (extra: did the uni give any travel discounts for this?)

Hi there,
I’m a first year dual adult and child nursing student at uni of Southampton, the course starts properly tomorrow but I’ve really enjoyed all the intro lectures and all the lecturers seem lovely as do the year 2’s who act as student buddies to specific groups of first years. There is a lot of support offered within the uni as well as most of the lectures being available to watch a few days before.
I know for placement as well as the NHS learning fund you can get compensation for your travel, anything over the normal cost of getting to campus, the prices for compensation have been raised this year to hopefully help with the increased cost of living.
Exams are a mixture, my first exam will be multiple choice but I will also have essays, presentations and actual exams for things like drug calculations, as well as practical based exams.
Reply 2
Hiya, thanks for your reply!

Southampton was one of my favourite Unis when going to the Open Day last year and that’s great that they have student buddies too. I know it’s still early days for you, so if you don’t know, no worries, but are all the lectures in-person, and then they also record them for students to look back on? Or are there just some lectures only digital, not in-person, so you watch those online?

And thanks for the info about exams and travel, that’s really helpful :h:
Reply 3
Hiya, thanks for your reply!

Southampton was one of my favourite Unis when going to the Open Day last year and that’s great that they have student buddies too. I know it’s still early days for you, so if you don’t know, no worries, but are all the lectures in-person, and then they also record them for students to look back on? Or are there just some lectures only digital, not in-person, so you watch those online?

And thanks for the info about exams and travel, that’s really helpful :h:

I’m glad you really liked the look of Southampton. We’re in our first week of lectures now and we only have one lecture a week online and the rest are in person which I prefer. All lectures are recorded so you can go back and watch them except for lectures that include sensitive information and to allow students to speak on sensitive topics without that being exposed so that is understandable.
Reply 4
Thank you for clarifying about the lectures.

And I prefer in-person lectures too, but it's also good that most of them are recorded, (apart from the sensitive content ones), so you can play them back if needed. And the class discussions sound really interactive too.

Thanks for all your help and I hope you continue to enjoy and learn a lot from your course at Southampton!

Hi Julie,

It’s great to hear that you are wanting to study nursing and considering Southampton as an option and it’s brilliant that you are already getting stuck in with research.

Nursing at Southampton is a rollercoaster of emotions as would be expected. Placement can be difficult at times but one thing I found really useful was throughout placement every few weeks we meet up with our tutor group to discuss how things are going and raise any issues we may have. The placement teams who you work with are also brilliant if you are having any issues or struggling with a certain skill they will take the time to go through it with you.

University can also be very overwhelming and in the first few weeks hard to adapt as it is a different way of working, but again at Southampton the support given covers every topic from academic support at the library, to the Student Hub which is available 24/7 for any problems you may have.

In terms of transport to placement most students tend to apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund at the start of the academic year which gives students a bursary of at least £5,000 a year. Then also through this service you are able to claim back all travel expenses by filling out a form so this should not be a worry.

Exam styles can vary from year to year but can take the form of presentations either group or individual, exams which may be written or occasionally multiple choice and essays.

I hoped this has helped, please let me know if you have any further questions

Caitlin 😊
Second Year
BSc Children’s Nursing
Official Rep for the University of Southampton
Reply 6
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi Julie,

It’s great to hear that you are wanting to study nursing and considering Southampton as an option and it’s brilliant that you are already getting stuck in with research.

Nursing at Southampton is a rollercoaster of emotions as would be expected. Placement can be difficult at times but one thing I found really useful was throughout placement every few weeks we meet up with our tutor group to discuss how things are going and raise any issues we may have. The placement teams who you work with are also brilliant if you are having any issues or struggling with a certain skill they will take the time to go through it with you.

University can also be very overwhelming and in the first few weeks hard to adapt as it is a different way of working, but again at Southampton the support given covers every topic from academic support at the library, to the Student Hub which is available 24/7 for any problems you may have.

In terms of transport to placement most students tend to apply for the NHS Learning Support Fund at the start of the academic year which gives students a bursary of at least £5,000 a year. Then also through this service you are able to claim back all travel expenses by filling out a form so this should not be a worry.

Exam styles can vary from year to year but can take the form of presentations either group or individual, exams which may be written or occasionally multiple choice and essays.

I hoped this has helped, please let me know if you have any further questions

Caitlin 😊
Second Year
BSc Children’s Nursing
Official Rep for the University of Southampton

hey,
I am also intrested in a dual nhs degree and would love to do mh and child at Southampton. my main concern is the money and how to fund it, accommodation first year for halls is 5.5k minimum and i would be entitled to 4k on a maintenence loan which wouldn't cover this (my parents are not willing to fund this). I am aware of the NHS lsf fund but wondered if it is guaranteed? And if not is there any way to fund my nursing degree as I am passionate about this :smile:

I am also wondering if the degree is classed as a joint registration or 2 separate?
Thank you for any help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by 3mily567
hey,
I am also intrested in a dual nhs degree and would love to do mh and child at Southampton. my main concern is the money and how to fund it, accommodation first year for halls is 5.5k minimum and i would be entitled to 4k on a maintenence loan which wouldn't cover this (my parents are not willing to fund this). I am aware of the NHS lsf fund but wondered if it is guaranteed? And if not is there any way to fund my nursing degree as I am passionate about this :smile:

I am also wondering if the degree is classed as a joint registration or 2 separate?
Thank you for any help :smile:

Hey currently studying dual adult and child at Southampton. My accom cost more than my loan and I use my savings I’ve earned from working and the nhs learning support fund. You are entitled to this fund as long as you are a student studying an eligible course in England. So you will get the £5000 a year paid in instalments. However you will have to budget as I’ve already had to pay my first accom payment in October and won’t get my first nhs instalment until next week. So be mindful of how much you need to be able to afford accom and living essentials.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Feeb_05
You are entitled to this fund as long as you are a student from England.

Just to clarify, students are eligible for the NHS LSF is they study at a uni in England and are eligible for student finance from SFE, SFW, SAAS, etc. (they don't have to be from England). :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by normaw
Just to clarify, students are eligible for the NHS LSF is they study at a uni in England and are eligible for student finance from SFE, SFW, SAAS, etc. (they don't have to be from England). :smile:

Yes sorry that is what I meant
Reply 10
Original post by Feeb_05
Hey currently studying dual adult and child at Southampton. My accom cost more than my loan and I use my savings I’ve earned from working and the nhs learning support fund. You are entitled to this fund as long as you are a student studying an eligible course in England. So you will get the £5000 a year paid in instalments. However you will have to budget as I’ve already had to pay my first accom payment in October and won’t get my first nhs instalment until next week. So be mindful of how much you need to be able to afford accom and living essentials.

Ah makes sense, thank you
Hi Julie

I am studying Adult Nursing at University of Surrey. It has top of the range simulation facilities in the South East. We also have a dedicated campus for health sciences and we have actors to help us in our practical training.

The NMC state that to be a nurse, you need to undertake 2500 hours in practice (i.e. in a hospital) and 2500 hours in lectures. These blocks are all worked out in a schedule which is given at the start of the academic year.

The degree is 3 years and you leave as a registered nurse band 5.

You can get funding from the Student Learning Fund where fees are covered under this loan. You can get out a separate Maintenance Loan and can claim the maximum if you have no dependents and you are also legible for the £5k bursary from the NHS.

I am in my final year and have enjoyed my journey thus far!!

Any questions, get in touch.

Nicky,
Final year adult nurse
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
You can get funding from the Student Learning Fund where fees are covered under this loan. You can get out a separate Maintenance Loan and can claim the maximum if you have no dependents and you are also legible for the £5k bursary from the NHS.

Can you clarify as I've not heard of the Student Learning Fund? Tuition fee loans and maintenance loans are usually provided by the Student Loans Company and you apply to SFE, SFW, SAAS, etc. depending where you normally live. The £5k annual training grant is available from the NHS Learning Support Fund for students studying a course in England. And its not true that you can claim the maximum maintenance loan if you have no dependents. Do you mean if you are 'independent' or over 25?
Original post by normaw
Can you clarify as I've not heard of the Student Learning Fund? Tuition fee loans and maintenance loans are usually provided by the Student Loans Company and you apply to SFE, SFW, SAAS, etc. depending where you normally live. The £5k annual training grant is available from the NHS Learning Support Fund for students studying a course in England. And its not true that you can claim the maximum maintenance loan if you have no dependents. Do you mean if you are 'independent' or over 25?

Sorry, meant SFE. Regards maintenance loan, it likely depends on case by case but myself and others in my cohort had maximum as we had no dependents as in children, looking after parents, etc. Surrey has alot of mature students as well as young students.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending