The Student Room Group

Failed resubmission final reflection assignment

Hi all. Can anyone offer advice please. This advice is regarding my daughter who has phoned me this morning extremely upset as she has failed her 3rd year final assignment resubmission and now has to wait until March before she can resubmit. She has a job and is being paid at band 4 but she is devastated as she thinks they wont hold the job open as he has failed her final reflection assignment resubmission. Can she appeal? Or is she best just sitting again. Is it worth appealing and if so how does she do this. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by clairei
Hi all. Can anyone offer advice please. This advice is regarding my daughter who has phoned me this morning extremely upset as she has failed her 3rd year final assignment resubmission and now has to wait until March before she can resubmit. She has a job and is being paid at band 4 but she is devastated as she thinks they wont hold the job open as he has failed her final reflection assignment resubmission. Can she appeal? Or is she best just sitting again. Is it worth appealing and if so how does she do this. Thanks

You can try to appeal, but often times, appeals don't work in people's favour :frown:. But, I would still advise to appeal nonetheless.

If it doesn't help then it is best to sit again. I am so sorry your daughter is going through such a hard time :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by CAB18022
You can try to appeal, but often times, appeals don't work in people's favour :frown:. But, I would still advise to appeal nonetheless.

If it doesn't help then it is best to sit again. I am so sorry your daughter is going through such a hard time :frown:

Thank you for your quick reply.
Reply 3
Does she have grounds to appeal the mark? The potential success of this will be based on whether she does. Her university, students union and tutors will be best to advise her on this.

If she has the opportunity to resubmit in March then if an appeal is unsuccessful this will be her only option if she wants to be a nurse. She should seek feedback on her most recent submission so that she has guidance to successfully submit it on resubmission. With regards to her job, she will need to speak to them and see whether they are willing to wait until march for her to be registered (it’s possible with how nursing currently is that they will), if they don’t keep the post open it’s not the end of the world, there are loads of vacancies within nursing at the moment, I doubt she will struggle to find work as a registrant following her resubmission.
Reply 4
Original post by moonkatt
Does she have grounds to appeal the mark? The potential success of this will be based on whether she does. Her university, students union and tutors will be best to advise her on this.

If she has the opportunity to resubmit in March then if an appeal is unsuccessful this will be her only option if she wants to be a nurse. She should seek feedback on her most recent submission so that she has guidance to successfully submit it on resubmission. With regards to her job, she will need to speak to them and see whether they are willing to wait until march for her to be registered (it’s possible with how nursing currently is that they will), if they don’t keep the post open it’s not the end of the world, there are loads of vacancies within nursing at the moment, I doubt she will struggle to find work as a registrant following her resubmission.

She maybe doesnt have grounds to appeal. The only grounds she has would be that number 1 she was working her other job as a support worker a lot of hours due to them being shortstaffed and i am aware they will probably say but her nursing would come first and number 2 she did ask for academic support in an email and the email was never answered so i think you maybe right and she would be as well just resubmitting in March. Thank you for your detailed reply.
Reply 5
yeah thats not grounds, if anything it makes it worse. after the first fail she should have been onto the topic tutor asking for advice. looking at succesful reflective essays and using their layout and style without copying would have helped.
Reply 6
Original post by paub
yeah thats not grounds, if anything it makes it worse. after the first fail she should have been onto the topic tutor asking for advice. looking at succesful reflective essays and using their layout and style without copying would have helped.

Ah ok thanks. She did email her tutor for support and they never replied so she thought she would have to just get on with it but she probably should have emailed again and said that noone has replied.
Reply 7
Original post by clairei
She maybe doesnt have grounds to appeal. The only grounds she has would be that number 1 she was working her other job as a support worker a lot of hours due to them being shortstaffed and i am aware they will probably say but her nursing would come first and number 2 she did ask for academic support in an email and the email was never answered so i think you maybe right and she would be as well just resubmitting in March. Thank you for your detailed reply.

- work being short staffed wasn't your daughter's fault, but she chose to work more hours and have less time for university work. That's not grounds for appeal.
- Only asking once isn't reason for appeal.

I would recommend that she resubmits in March, but in the meantime she ought to:
1) not go picking up every shift offered to her - yes the money is nice, but she needs to concentrate on this final submission. Short staffed isn't her problem.
2) keep asking for help - this might mean asking a number of times, and going to a few different lecturers.

As for the job, it's worth her talking to her manager, who is likely to keep employing her (as band 4 or otherwise) until she gets the results of this final submission
Reply 8
Original post by Emily_B
- work being short staffed wasn't your daughter's fault, but she chose to work more hours and have less time for university work. That's not grounds for appeal.
- Only asking once isn't reason for appeal.

I would recommend that she resubmits in March, but in the meantime she ought to:
1) not go picking up every shift offered to her - yes the money is nice, but she needs to concentrate on this final submission. Short staffed isn't her problem.
2) keep asking for help - this might mean asking a number of times, and going to a few different lecturers.

As for the job, it's worth her talking to her manager, who is likely to keep employing her (as band 4 or otherwise) until she gets the results of this final submission

Yes i think your right in that she needs to really ask everyone she can. She sent 2 seperate emails for assistance and noone got back to her but i think this time she will have to really ask everyone. Thanks for you message its appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending