The Student Room Group

Right I need help.

So, recently people have been taking the mick out of my last name which is an Asian last name as I'm half Asian. If I stand up for myself and get some sort of punishment for doing so, is that wrong? The students are purposely mispronouncing my last name, is that classed as an act of racism? Also, does the school have the right to punish me if I'm defending myself towards these comments?
Reply 1
Original post by StrikeSerpent
So, recently people have been taking the mick out of my last name which is an Asian last name as I'm half Asian. If I stand up for myself and get some sort of punishment for doing so, is that wrong? The students are purposely mispronouncing my last name, is that classed as an act of racism? Also, does the school have the right to punish me if I'm defending myself towards these comments?

You are being bullied. You have a number of options.
1. Tell someone in your school
2. Make a stand for yourself
3. Ignore it and do not show any sign of emotion when they say your name incorrectly

The first option is the best but your school might not take action
The second option is high risk and may go very wrong
The last option in conjunction with the first is the best. Ignore them and hang out with people who get on with you. If it persists then get parents involved regarding option 1.
Original post by StrikeSerpent

They say ignorance is bliss, and one reason why people say this is if you ignore them completely, they will lose interest. If you use words when someone tries to bother you then you're massaging their egos. Not much can be done in this regard if they physically bully you, in that case get some friends to back you up. Don't let the bullies get the best of you, don't play their games!
Reply 3
Here are your steps:

Imagine they are toddlers and talk to them like toddlers.

Every time they do it, ensure that you are loud (to attract the attention of EVERYONE, and this is important) and friendly (to show EVERYONE that you are not being a bully yourself).

For example, greet them loudly and happily and say: "Oh wow! I remember making fun of people's names when I was a toddler. I love it. This really takes me back to when I was four. Do it again!"

If they do it again, say, "Hey, that's not bad, but infant humour has a style to it that you still have not mastered. You just look like a cute bunny bouncing around in heat. Try it again but try to be more nonchalant, more suave."

If they do it again, continue to be helpful, and continue to point out their mistakes. "Again, you're getting there. Look, think about the syllables in my name and really give them some emphasis." Actually make fun out of your own name to show how simple it really is (and to show to everyone else how infantile it is) and then continue to gentle help them improve. "Seriously, have another go. I believe in you, mate. I really think you can pull this off if you practise."

And do it loudly. Get an audience so that everyone is watching. If the bullies become violent, you have witnesses.

And if they walk away, follow them and insist on continuing to help. Be REALLY helpful and friendly. "Ah, come on, mate: don't give in so easily. Even my four-year-old nephew had trouble with it, but eventually he got it right."

If the friends join in, say, "Yeah! Well done." And then back to the bully. "See, your friend can do it. Give it another try." Get his friends to help him out.

They'll soon stop.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by CapIsland
Here are your steps:

Imagine they are toddlers and talk to them like toddlers.

Every time they do it, ensure that you are loud (to attract the attention of EVERYONE, and this is important) and friendly (to show EVERYONE that you are not being a bully yourself).

For example, greet them loudly and happily and say: "Oh wow! I remember making fun of people's names when I was a toddler. I love it. This really takes me back to when I was four. Do it again!"

If they do it again, say, "Hey, that's not bad, but infant humour has a style to it that you still have not mastered. You just look like a cute bunny bouncing around in heat. Try it again but try to be more nonchalant, more suave."

If they do it again, continue to be helpful, and continue to point out their mistakes. "Again, you're getting there. Look, think about the syllables in my name and really give them some emphasis." Actually make fun out of your own name to show how simple it really is (and to show to everyone else how infantile it is) and then continue to gentle help them improve. "Seriously, have another go. I believe in you, mate. I really think you can pull this off if you practise."

And do it loudly. Get an audience so that everyone is watching. If the bullies become violent, you have witnesses.

And if they walk away, follow them and insist on continuing to help. Be REALLY helpful and friendly. "Ah, come on, mate: don't give in so easily. Even my four-year-old nephew had trouble with it, but eventually he got it right."

If the friends join in, say, "Yeah! Well done." And then back to the bully. "See, your friend can do it. Give it another try." Get his friends to help him out.

They'll soon stop.

Thank you so much for this.
Reply 5
Be loud, be friendly, and be really really helpful. Make sure any subtle insults you throw his way are a byproduct of wanting to be completely helpful. Enjoy doing it. Take away his power in finding you by looking out for him instead. Take away his power to insult you through your name by trying to teach him how to insult you properly, and keep telling him he's not quite got the hang of it and keep helping him. Take away his power to do it sneakily and quietly by being loud and making sure everyone hears it. Every now and then tell him you're proud of him for how much he has improved with something everyone else, including his friends, learnt when they were four. And above all look forward to it and enjoy it.

Quick Reply

Latest