The Student Room Group

Low grades in second year

I’m studying a computer science degree and i’ve been getting low grades in my second year and this will effect my final grade in year 3. To be honest i’m 21 years old and i haven’t learnt anything from coding and i don’t even like this course but i might as well finish it because i only have 1 more year left. Right now i had to retake 1 unit as i failed it and they made me retake the whole year just to do 1 unit module. If i pass and make it to year 3 in September, is it possible if i use this time to work and learn coding properly for me to actually pass with a 1:1 or atleast a 2:1. Any advice would be helpful, also i’m thinking of possibly maybe dropping out so any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Right now, you need to focus on passing the retake module this year, otherwise you won;t even have the option of entering yr 3. Keep your options open is my advice.
(edited 2 months ago)
Hi Ameeramz,

Have you contacted your lecturers and asked for some support and let them know your struggling? When I struggled with certain aspects of my course, i found it really helpful to sit down with a lecturer and go through the work, that i was struggling with. Please don't stress to much about your degree classification right now, just focus on passing this module first. I personally didn't find that my second year grades affected my overall classification grade, all that much. I know YSJ have two ways of calculating the end classification grade, depending whether you did better in 2nd or 3rd year. Maybe speak to a lecturer and find out, how they do this, as it could help with some of the stresses around this.

Good Luck!

Suzan - Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Original post by YSJstudents
Hi Ameeramz,

Have you contacted your lecturers and asked for some support and let them know your struggling? When I struggled with certain aspects of my course, i found it really helpful to sit down with a lecturer and go through the work, that i was struggling with. Please don't stress to much about your degree classification right now, just focus on passing this module first. I personally didn't find that my second year grades affected my overall classification grade, all that much. I know YSJ have two ways of calculating the end classification grade, depending whether you did better in 2nd or 3rd year. Maybe speak to a lecturer and find out, how they do this, as it could help with some of the stresses around this.

Good Luck!

Suzan - Student Ambassador

Hey Suzan!, thank you for the reply. So i’m happy to say i got my results and passed my resit and i’ve contacted my lectures individually, one of them offered to send me the assignment briefs for year 3 so i can use the time i have (until September) to focus and study for next year. I still have access to the university anytime i want as i finished my course now. So right now i just need to focus on learning the brief for next year so that i’m ready.

I’m just wondering about if i can retake modules that i have had low grades on and if i cant retake them then would it still be possible to achieve my 1:1 or atleast a 2:1.

My university base final year results as 35% second year and 65% year 3.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cheadle
Right now, you need to focus on passing the retake module this year, otherwise you won;t even have the option of entering yr 3. Keep your options open is my advice.

Thank you for the reply! And yes you are right. Actually i got my results yesterday and i passed the resit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending