The Student Room Group

Msc advanced chem eng vs engineering management

As the title says I am planning to do a masters after my bachelors in chemical engineering. However I also have an interest in project management and was wondering what the differences between the two are, which have better job prospects etc.

Also is there a difference in job opportunites after the masters or if I go straight to grad schemes?

thanks in advance
Original post by alwaysconfused5
As the title says I am planning to do a masters after my bachelors in chemical engineering. However I also have an interest in project management and was wondering what the differences between the two are, which have better job prospects etc.

Also is there a difference in job opportunites after the masters or if I go straight to grad schemes?

thanks in advance

It'll be easier to get a place on a grad scheme with a masters. In fact, many prefer - or even only recruit - masters candidates. Many do the MEng, mainly because it's the simplest option, but the MSc route is also fine.

You say engineering management, but mention project management; which of the two are you referring to? A degree in engineering management isn't really any more likely to get you into an engineering management role: such a role is virtually always a very experienced position, by which point degrees have long became irrelevant. Project management is different though, and a PM degree may help you move into it.
I would just do engineering. Project/programme management teams still recruit engineering graduates & often you can move over to those roles at a mid-career level after some experience if you go into a normal engineering pathway.

Quick Reply

Latest