The Student Room Group

Anyone heard the rumours?

That civil servants will be forced to attend their workplace 60% of the week
Reply 1
Original post by Thislife100121
That civil servants will be forced to attend their workplace 60% of the week

Is that happening before or after the move to the 35hr week?
Reply 2
I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why it shouldn't be 100%
Reply 3
Original post by Trinculo
I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why it shouldn't be 100%

Well to take my example from today, I met my direct reports face to face. One is based in Wales, another the North East, a couple are based in London, a couple in the Midlands, one Central Belt.

To meet face to face the majority of us will be out of our own workplace. If we were to do it by Teams then it'd be the same odds if everyone was at home, so at least the electricity wasn't coming from the public purse.
Reply 4
Original post by TiBFS
Well to take my example from today, I met my direct reports face to face. One is based in Wales, another the North East, a couple are based in London, a couple in the Midlands, one Central Belt.

To meet face to face the majority of us will be out of our own workplace. If we were to do it by Teams then it'd be the same odds if everyone was at home, so at least the electricity wasn't coming from the public purse.

This is the first time I have ever heard of someone supporting WFH because it means employees pay for electricity instead of the employer.

Everyone should be at the workplace, unless the circumstances are exceptional. With WFH, accountability goes out of the window, especially with security and data protection. You can go to the office and Teams everyone.
Reply 5
Original post by Trinculo
This is the first time I have ever heard of someone supporting WFH because it means employees pay for electricity instead of the employer.

Everyone should be at the workplace, unless the circumstances are exceptional. With WFH, accountability goes out of the window, especially with security and data protection. You can go to the office and Teams everyone.

I'm not supporting working from home...? As I say, I got my team into an office today (for most not their workplace). Merely saying if each were in their own workplace today then they might as well be at home.

The point of being in an office is for face to face collaboration. Your suggestion is to have all the downside of virtual communication without the up side.

Security and data protection...? Are you questioning the VPN is less secure if connected to my WiFi as opposed to that in the office, or are you presuming some snooper in the house (I'm obviously guessing the later). Admittedly not the case for many, but my household is fully sufficiently cleared. OK, UK NACE haven't been round, but if the Chinese have bugged the place then they are welcome to overhearing anything, they'd be pretty bored.

Edit
Not that NACE sweep my current workplace either...
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending