The Student Room Group

Personal statement help

I started writing my personal statement in september and have a rough draft but I feel as though there are elements missing. I'm hoping to applying to music courses at a mixture of conservatoires and universities. I'm struggling on making it relevant to all the courses. How would I structure my personal statement properly? I haven't done anything academic on the subject but have been playing multiple instruments from a young age, how do I make a good impression without having academic experience?
Hi there,

I understand the frustration that comes when you are applying for different types of courses. UCAS has some really good information about applying to and writing a personal statement for conservatoires - https://www.ucas.com/conservatoires/how-apply-through-ucas-conservatoires/how-write-ucas-conservatoires-personal-statement

One thing they highlight is the fact that you should talk about your instruments and your practice (orchestras, bands, choirs etc.) as well as this, you can mention why your applying to different courses.

Share your draft with your music teacher (instrument and school) as I'm sure they will also be able to offer you advice!

Good luck!
Original post by kkaaaaa
I started writing my personal statement in september and have a rough draft but I feel as though there are elements missing. I'm hoping to applying to music courses at a mixture of conservatoires and universities. I'm struggling on making it relevant to all the courses. How would I structure my personal statement properly? I haven't done anything academic on the subject but have been playing multiple instruments from a young age, how do I make a good impression without having academic experience?

Hi,

The best advice I can give you is to show how passionate you are about your chosen courses and how you are motivated and determined to put your musical skills into practice.

I would also ask your music teacher for some advice on what should be included in your PS as they will know the buzzwords needed for a good application.

Our university will be holding a personal statement webinar on the 5th of December, where they will be going through the top tips for writing a successful Personal Statement so it might be worth registering for the event to get some tips and to answer any questions you may have. Here's a link https://www.lsbu.ac.uk/whats-on/personal-statements-webinars

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your application!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending