The Student Room Group

gap year?

hi guys im thinking of taking a gap year ( in yr 12 currently) i dont like the idea of having to write up personal statement during year 13 and the additional stress of getting offers or not and interviews aswell , alongside the normal Alevel stress . How does applying for gap year work ( i want to start uni in 2025 instead of 2024 ) has anyone done this or feel the same . I feel like i slacked this year and so in year 13 i want to just be on top of my revision
sorry for the rant im stressed out . I also dont know how this works :smile:
Reply 1
also i think it would be beneficial for my mental health and personal growth
heyy I'm currently on my gap year and am starting uni this Sept. I applied in year 13 and deferred my offer, so my gap year was stress-free. If I were you, I would apply to uni in year 13 anyway for the following reasons:

- just in case! you never know what will happen in life or if you change your mind
- basically consider it personal statement/UCAS practice - who knows? you might get an amazing offer!!
- I think it's easier to get a better offer in y13 since you apply with predicted grades which tend to be higher than one's actual grades
- you might get more UCAS support from your school this way!

It's a win-win situation this way as your would simply decline your uni offer and reapply during your gap year as per your current plan!

Another piece of advice would be to apply for things to do during your gap year - you don't want to be sitting at home wasting your time! alongside travelling/having fun, there are lots of programs.
I am a bit boring but I'm working full time ina top finance company that will 100% make me more competitive during job applications for after uni!

Quick Reply

Latest