The Student Room Group

Gap year/ retake alevel

Hi! I applied to ucas for 2024 course. However, I got rejected by my ideal unis and would like to know more about gap year or retaking alevel. If my ideal unis didn’t appear in clearing, should I go for a gap year?

I am actually not too sure how gap year works. I suppose it’s like I can reapply to ucas for 2025 course with my actual alevel grades that will get this summer? Am I then become a self-taught student? What will happen next? Could anyone clarify any misunderstanding I made?

Thanks a lot!
Original post by user22919
Hi! I applied to ucas for 2024 course. However, I got rejected by my ideal unis and would like to know more about gap year or retaking alevel. If my ideal unis didn’t appear in clearing, should I go for a gap year?

I am actually not too sure how gap year works. I suppose it’s like I can reapply to ucas for 2025 course with my actual alevel grades that will get this summer? Am I then become a self-taught student? What will happen next? Could anyone clarify any misunderstanding I made?

Thanks a lot!

Well, it really repends. Would you be happy going elsewhere for university? You also have to consider that taking a gap doesn't guarantee that you'll get into your ideal university, so if your sole purpose of taking a gap year is to get into one university, I'd say that's a pretty big risk. Up to you if you want to take it.

In terms of how gap years work, you apply as you did this admissions cycle, but with achieved grades. You also nicely ask your school to provide a reference for you. All the deadlines still apply to you so make sure to apply within the 2025 equal considerations deadline!

If you wish to resit A levels, your school should most likely be happy to let you resit them there again, but you'd have to study on your own. You'd declare on UCAS your achieved A level grades and also that you're resitting A levels, with grades pending.

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending