The Student Room Group

Psychology career pathways

if any psychologist are reading this I have a question about career pathways in psychology as I really want to do this as a degree and have a career but I don't want to be in education for a long time as most jobs require a doctorate and as I live in a small area there is limited jobs option. For example, I was thinking about child well being practictioner, for that , do I need a doctorate and also how would I go about finding experience.

Help...as I do not know if I want to do this as a degree if I won't find a job in the end 😞
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous 787
if any psychologist are reading this I have a question about career pathways in psychology as I really want to do this as a degree and have a career but I don't want to be in education for a long time as most jobs require a doctorate and as I live in a small area there is limited jobs option. For example, I was thinking about child well being practictioner, for that , do I need a doctorate and also how would I go about finding experience.

Help...as I do not know if I want to do this as a degree if I won't find a job in the end 😞

Sadly the career of a wannabe psychologist often involves moving about regularly unless you live in a major city. A CWP or PWP are often recruited via the NHS or large charities, so going on the NHS job website and setting an alert is best course of action. Neither require a doctorate, a doctorate is primarily only for practitioner psychologists (Clinical, Education or Counselling). There are loads of jobs outside of pracitioner psychologists, just look around (Clinical Associate etc). Most need experience before a trainee role so get involved in care or with charities which focus on mental health ideally (like healthcare assistants, wellbeing workers etc). Again as before you will prob have to travel a bit if you are in a rural area, but if you really want this career or most others you will need to commute a bit.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending