The Student Room Group

Is a career change worth it

I’m considering changing my career. Whilst I don’t want to I think I may have to especially since this is a decision I did not want to make from a career in ICT to something else because I am struggling to find a graduate role within ICT especially after graduating 2 months ago and finding university early this year. I’m thinking of doing a apprenticeship elsewhere in another subject because I am not being able to find a job in the field I wanted to go into and I personally just want to get out of retail as it’s my side job which I hate.
Original post by Mohammed_80
I’m considering changing my career. Whilst I don’t want to I think I may have to especially since this is a decision I did not want to make from a career in ICT to something else because I am struggling to find a graduate role within ICT especially after graduating 2 months ago and finding university early this year. I’m thinking of doing a apprenticeship elsewhere in another subject because I am not being able to find a job in the field I wanted to go into and I personally just want to get out of retail as it’s my side job which I hate.

2 months is hardly a long time to take to find a job after graduation, and there are unlikely to be many other sectors you could readily transfer into that have the prospects of IT.

What other sectors do you have in mind?
Original post by Mohammed_80

Applying to jobs can take a while so don't be too discouraged by a 2 month period. If its a matter of failed applications try and look into what is causing an issue. If its a lack of availability then an apprenticeship could work or you could look into volunteer/an entry level role to gain some more experience and keep you working until something comes up and then applying for that.
What I will say is had a mate who went through an apprenticeship and was able to find something he is happy doing, just can take time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending