The Student Room Group

Need advice on two jobs

Mainly looking for insights as far as my future prospects within HMRC and the civil service at large.

I currently hold the position of Administrative Apprentice at the Surge Rapid Response Team in Croydon, however, I've been offered the role of Compliance Caseworker for Customer Compliance Group at Stratford. The latter offers £8k more and is far closer to my home but I've heard in the post that the role is quite a stagnant one and doesn't have much future prospects, whereas an apprenticeship can really go anyway depending on how you perform and what you find out that you enjoy. Not exactly sure what to do in my position so could anyone offer any help?
Original post by iEndeavor
Mainly looking for insights as far as my future prospects within HMRC and the civil service at large.

I currently hold the position of Administrative Apprentice at the Surge Rapid Response Team in Croydon, however, I've been offered the role of Compliance Caseworker for Customer Compliance Group at Stratford. The latter offers £8k more and is far closer to my home but I've heard in the post that the role is quite a stagnant one and doesn't have much future prospects, whereas an apprenticeship can really go anyway depending on how you perform and what you find out that you enjoy. Not exactly sure what to do in my position so could anyone offer any help?

Hey, recently I got an offer for an EO in the surge team. Would you please let me know how your experience, please? Thank you
Reply 2
Original post by iEndeavor

Why would you come to a student forum when the role is with your current employer? Why not just ask colleagues?
Reply 3
Original post by Quady
Why would you come to a student forum when the role is with your current employer? Why not just ask colleagues?

There are several civil service grad scheme threads on here and a fount of knowledge that goes with them.Op would be wise not to discuss he is thinking of leaving with his colleagues actually.
Reply 4
Original post by Quady
Why? What could their colleagues do to get the promotion offer recinded? Not much point keeping a job offer quiet imho.

There are several such threads, none of which are at admin grade. Very few at EO level too. Tad unclear what advise could be found there of much relavence.

Given the male:female ratio at admin level, asserting he as a pronoun is a tad bold.

The problem occurs when you decide not to leave but your boss knows you are looking to move.
Op I think you have already grasped the problem with the job offer.Are you happy in your current role,do you really fancy the day to day monotony of the other role plus Stratford is not the nicest area.Fairly near me and would avoid personally.
There are other forums you could try.Reddit for instance.How long have you been in current role?
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
The problem occurs when you decide not to leave but your boss knows you are looking to move.
Op I think you have already grasped the problem with the job offer.Are you happy in your current role,do you really fancy the day to day monotony of the other role plus Stratford is not the nicest area.Fairly near me and would avoid personally.
There are other forums you could try.Reddit for instance.How long have you been in current role?

They are on an apprentership - isn't the whole point to get another job?
Reply 6
Original post by Quady
They are on an apprentership - isn't the whole point to get another job?

No I imagine they are getting rotations in different parts of the civil service to see what is available and where their interest lies
Reply 7
Original post by Scotney
No I imagine they are getting rotations in different parts of the civil service to see what is available and where their interest lies

And then what?

Edit
Is it a merry-go-round at the same grade forever?
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending