The Student Room Group

PGCE Is it possible to fail the 1st placement?

Hi I have started a PGCE - been put on a support plan after a bad uni observation

I don't understand the implications?

I have quit my job - to do this PGCE and now I'm uncertain...whether I want to continue? any advise?

I have taken a student loan and don't know the implications?

can i fail my first placement? what does that mean?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by fbay155
Hi I have started a PGCE - been put on a support plan after a bad uni observation
I have quit my job - to do this PGCE and now I'm uncertain...whether I want to continue? any advise?

Not usually fail, unless there is a misconduct / professionalism issue.

If you can evidence that you are making progress towards the teachers standards, there shouldn't be an issue with you continuing on the course. If you are struggling to evidence the progress you've made then they can extend placements (usually at the end of the year) so that you can continue teaching and progressing to evidence that you are working towards all the standards.

On finance, I'm not 100% on this but I believe that a maintenance loan payments will stop when you are un-enrolled from the course as will tuition fee loan. The sum of money you have used (ie received or paid the uni) will be added to your student finance total debt and the rest will not.
Reply 2
Original post by fbay155

I think you need to contact your university tutor. Yes, you can fail your first placement if you don't meet the basic targets which is usually teaching a set amount of hours and meeting the minimum standard that are required for that placement. When you were put on the intervention plan, it should have been made clear what you were expected to achieve by the end of it.

The consequences ultimately are that you would be asked to leave the course so I think it very very important you get a clear picture of where you are up to and what you need to do to get back on track.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending