The Student Room Group

What are my chances of an offer from the University of St Andrews?

I applied to the university of St Andrews for English a few weeks ago and I’m wondering if I stand a realistic chance of getting in. I applied with achieved A-Level grades A* A* A but my GCSE grades are unimpressive. I also have a home fee status which again decreases my chances. Should I get my hopes up?
Reply 1
Well you have met the entry requirements (and have achieved grades) so it will be down to your personal statement.

If you are looking for numbers then you can look at freedom of information requests on admissions statistics. There is one that is getting a bit dated but splits offers by Home/RUK/International. Did you mean you are Home (Scottish) or RUK fee status? For English in 2018/19 entry 22% of Home students got an offer and 47% of RUK did.

Most Home students will be applying with achieved grades so they just have to consider how many will accept an offer. Whereas for RUK students they have to think about how many will accept an offer and also how many will meet their predicted grades. They have years of data to guide them on the number of offers they need to make to fill the spaces they have on the course.
Reply 2
I’m a Home (Scottish) student so it sucks to see just 22%. Well at least I have Durham lol
Reply 3
Original post by Mischa_mc
I’m a Home (Scottish) student so it sucks to see just 22%. Well at least I have Durham lol

I've just looked to see if there is a more up to date foi for English and turns out there is one. Seems figures for offers are quite variable and last year it was almost 50% offer rate for home students. So probably not worth trying to second guess what's going on there. Just sit tight and see what happens!
Reply 4
Do you know where I can find the figures you’re talking about? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mischa_mc
Do you know where I can find the figures you’re talking about? :smile:

Attachment at the end of the following webpage

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/english_ba_admissions_statistics_2#incoming-2466866
Reply 6

Thank you! I’ll just hope for the best and wait to see their decision :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending