The Student Room Group

GCSE: 3 to a 6? - 10 months?

Is it possible to go from a 3 to a 6 in GCSE? Currently on my YR10 summer holiday and really want to do well.
Original post by Eferry
Is it possible to go from a 3 to a 6 in GCSE? Currently on my YR10 summer holiday and really want to do well.

Yes, it is possible to go up by three grades over a 10-month period. Which subject(s) are we talking about? (Presumably you're not at grade 3 for everything right now.)
Reply 2
I got all distinctions in business (finishing course next year), I got a 7 in my food mock, a 5 in English, and a 7 in iMedia. Any advice? I don't know what to do.
Reply 3
(Then got 3s in Science and Math)
Original post by Eferry

Hello,

I’m a BA Dance Student from the University of Lincoln and hopefully I can offer some advice on how you can best improve your grades. I also struggled in maths and I found that no matter what tactics I tried I still could not even pass an exam. For me, I understood the methods you needed to carry out if they were repeated back to me but left to my own devices my head could not wrap around how to answer them for myself. My best advice is use your own advantages… I’m a creative student and therefore numbers and equations are not my strength but I found methods that worked best to my skills. For example, I preferred to watch videos on YouTube that replicated a lesson, whereby I could listen to the instructions and then attempt questions for myself. I also found that speaking things out loud really help and making up songs or poems to remember equations. I will add some links below*
My grades on average were between a 3-4 before year 11 on a good day and that was with a lot of lucky guessing but I can assure you that if you find some methods that work to your strengths, you will easily pick up marks a lot better and be able to apply the questions better to your own revision

Links to helpful resources:

https://youtu.be/VOXYMRcWbF8

https://youtu.be/pg5MMBU4Mv4

https://youtu.be/LyaoA4M3CPg

I hope this helps,
Abigail
Original post by Eferry
(Then got 3s in Science and Math)

if u do edexcel igcse lmk cuz i can help u out
Reply 6
Yeah that'd be good, I do IGCSE, I'll message you
Reply 7
This is really helpful, thank you. What did you end up getting in Math if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 8
Never mind, I can't message you yet. Have to wait 3 days apparently.
Original post by Eferry
Never mind, I can't message you yet. Have to wait 3 days apparently.

ah np so for sciences

id reccomend doing topic qs on physicsandmathtutor cuz they have the most asked qs so u can score marks for ur basic answers instead of directly learning from the txtbk but if u need a refresher on a topic b4 doing qs, u can get them online; u dont rlly h a v e to make ur own notes yk. doing physics and maths tutor can help you recognize the very common qs. like for eg qs like process of natural selection is so common you can get 4 marks so easily. it helps yk which points in the text are relevant. u have GOT to watch the youtuber sciencewithhazel she has been so helpful for my all my papers from yr10-11. sciences just depend on practice so doing all the past papers b4 the actual boards (especially papers from the last 10 yrs would be helpful.

for math, u gotta treat it like a game. do past papers (like 1 every 2 days would be amazing to help u with ur confidence) and time your self. figure out with topics ur weak at looking at ur marks. again doing past papers helps u get the common qs. sites like maths genie and corbett maths is great. if u have any more qs lemme know.

Quick Reply

Latest