The Student Room Group

BEng or MEng for Chemical Engineering

is a MEng or BEng more useful post-uni
is a MEng preferred over a BEng in jobs outside of engineering (e.g finance or tech) or is it favoured because its easier to become a chartered engineering, if i were to follow that route
Original post by anonebony
is a MEng preferred over a BEng in jobs outside of engineering (e.g finance or tech) or is it favoured because its easier to become a chartered engineering, if i were to follow that route

For engineering the MEng is more useful, but outside of engineering it doesn't matter.
MEng certainly keeps open more doors, for a lot of jobs a bachelors is all that is required however in graduate recruitment a masters strengths your ability to break into competitive jobs.

The masters will help in the more deeply technical roles where they want graduates with a longer history of “technical ownership” & responsibility.
Original post by anonebony

Hello!
The main difference between them is a BEng is 3 years whereas MEng is 4 years and covers the academic requirement for becoming chartered. At Lancaster University, you can apply as a BEng and then if your grades are good you can be invited to switch to the MEng at the end of second year. Or if you start as a MEng and then realise you don't want/need to do a fourth year then you can switch to the BEng.

If you are thinking of swapping career path to finance or tech, engineering has great transferable skills but you could also do a postgraduate course in something different after an engineering undergraduate degree. MEng looks good to future engineering employers as it shows you have committed an extra year, have a higher level of engineering knowledge and at Lancaster we do a year long group project in fourth year which is great to talk about at interviews. Not everyone wants to stay at university for a fourth year and if you do a year in industry then thats also an extra year, but if you want to get charted in the future than you need to demonstrate further learning such as a MEng or another postgraduate level degree. Ultimately, it depends on what you are interested in, what career paths you are considering and how many years you want to do engineering at university. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions : )

-Izzy (Started as a BEng but switched to MEng and is a current fourth year)
(Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello!
The main difference between them is a BEng is 3 years whereas MEng is 4 years and covers the academic requirement for becoming chartered. At Lancaster University, you can apply as a BEng and then if your grades are good you can be invited to switch to the MEng at the end of second year. Or if you start as a MEng and then realise you don't want/need to do a fourth year then you can switch to the BEng.

If you are thinking of swapping career path to finance or tech, engineering has great transferable skills but you could also do a postgraduate course in something different after an engineering undergraduate degree. MEng looks good to future engineering employers as it shows you have committed an extra year, have a higher level of engineering knowledge and at Lancaster we do a year long group project in fourth year which is great to talk about at interviews. Not everyone wants to stay at university for a fourth year and if you do a year in industry then thats also an extra year, but if you want to get charted in the future than MEng or another postgraduate level degree is needed. Ultimately, it depends on what you are interested in, what career paths you are considering and how many years you want to do engineering at university. I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions : )

-Izzy (Started as a BEng but switched to MEng and is a current fourth year)
(Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)

It’s important to note this is incorrect, the engineering council requires “further studies” beyond a BEng, a masters degree is one way of demonstrating this however their are more options in industry.

Quick Reply

Latest