The Student Room Group

Surrey or Portsmouth - Economics & Finance

Hi guys so I finished my A levels in 2023 and did maths physics and economics and Got CDB respectively. I have taken a gap year and I’m travelling but I need to decide on a uni for 2024 soon to study economics and finance . I have unconditional offers from a variety of universities but I have narrowed it down to Portsmouth, or Surrey with a foundation year. I have no idea what to chose as an extra year seems daunting but Surrey appears to be a better university. Does this matter ? If I do a year in industry at Portsmouth is this equivalent to the degree from Surrey ? I plan on doing a masters either way after my degree but I don’t want my undergraduate to be longer than 4 years. Any advice is greatly appreciated thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Serr.Dokhdha
When did you apply to Surrey and when did you receive the offer? I personally think Surrey might be the better option because of the placement year they also offer.
I applied in December and received my Unconditional offer last week after going through their self service application to submit my A-Level results. If I did a placement at Surrey then I’m spending 5 years as an Undergraduate which seems very daunting
Original post by Logan._john
Hi guys so I finished my A levels in 2023 and did maths physics and economics and Got CDB respectively. I have taken a gap year and I’m travelling but I need to decide on a uni for 2024 soon to study economics and finance . I have unconditional offers from a variety of universities but I have narrowed it down to Portsmouth, or Surrey with a foundation year. I have no idea what to chose as an extra year seems daunting but Surrey appears to be a better university. Does this matter ? If I do a year in industry at Portsmouth is this equivalent to the degree from Surrey ? I plan on doing a masters either way after my degree but I don’t want my undergraduate to be longer than 4 years. Any advice is greatly appreciated thank you.
Hi there!

I hope you're having a nice gap year!

Have a look at the modules offered at Surrey on the course page. It's a good first step to be able to see yourself studying the specific subjects at a certain university.

You can also view the Student Life page, where you can see different aspects of studying at Surrey, such as campus life, living in Guildford, and student feedback.

I did a foundation year, and it definitely helped prepare me for my degree. You might feel a similar way and end up preferring a foundation year over being dropped onto the course with no prior preparation.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending