The Student Room Group

Changing A Level subjects / redoing them?

Ok first I would like to preface this with the fact that I know I am a complete idiot for asking this now and not realising sooner.

Basically my issue is that I'm doing humanities subjects (English Lit, History, Sociology) and began the year (im in year 12) with Maths on top of that. However, I dropped maths a week before the baseline test. Why? Because I'm slightly afraid of tests and I gave in to cowardice and dropped the subject. The problem is that now I'm wishing that I took a maths and science subject, or at least just kept maths. I didnt even consider that I could change my mind when I chose my options and didn't put too much thought into it. Now my decisions have come back to bite me so I need to know what I should do.

I'm currently thinking that I should just stick out these two years and try to get good grades at the end, then just go from there and retrain or do a humanities course if I change my mind. However, I'd like to know if I have any other plausible options. I've heard that you can repeat year 12 (doubt that's possible at my sixth form) with different subjects. I also know that you can take a levels outside of school but the issue with that is finding a place to take the exams, as well as teaching myself effectively enough for good grades. I assume this is also expensive to do.

I'm honestly panicking rn as I feel like I've ****ed up my future and I mainly regret dropping maths simply because of my test anxiety. Thanks for reading and I hope you guys have some advice.
I think we need to go back to the first key point - why do you wish you had taken maths and a science subject?

As if the reason for that isn't valid then the rest of it is moot!
Reply 2
I wish I took them because I'm now completely rethinking my career path and want to go into science. I also got good grades at gcse, particularly with getting 8s in science (9 in physics) so I think I would be able to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest