The Student Room Group

Academics in personal statement

Hi, should I mention my A levels in my personal statement, if i directly link them to dentistry (which i am applying to), or will that be a waste of characters?
My a levels are art physics and biology by the way

Thanks
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by aafroo
Hi, should I mention my A levels in my personal statement, if i directly link them to dentistry (which i am applying to), or will that be a waste of characters?
My a levels are art physics and biology by the way

Thanks

There's really no need to explicitly link what subjects you are studying to your course of study in your A-levels. The uni will already know what you are studying from the rest of your application, and will be aware of how they do (or don't) relate to your subject of study already. It's better to use your limited characters to write about your specific motivation for the course and what you have done specifically to prepare for it (rather than generally, as in your A-levels).

These can of course be academic and you may have been introduced to them from your A-level study, but this should only be referenced in terms of specific examples (e.g. "we covered X in A-level Y and this led me to reading more about topic Z"). Also for dentistry work experience is important and so is reflecting on that work experience (it's not just a tick box requirement!) so that is probably more relevant to demonstrate you understand the nature and challenges of the profession in the current world.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending