The Student Room Group

Bebras Oxford University Coding Challenge Looking for Tips

So I'm going to do the coding challenge for OUCC, and this is my first time, what kind of preperation do you suggest me to do in terms with python, I've tried some of the programming questions from past years but there's not a lot, and for some of the questions I get stuck and can't find answers to it.
Anyone able to help?
Reply 2
The Perse Team Challenge past papers are of similar style. I might be able to help with any questions you’re stuck on.
Original post by iohcareh
The Perse Team Challenge past papers are of similar style. I might be able to help with any questions you’re stuck on.

Yeah I did one of the senior challenges and was able to get 59/65 within the 40 mins [albeit i did need to get a bit of help for 1 or 2 of the questions], the last question I did run out of time to do, but I don't think I'd be able to easily complete it.
Reply 4
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
Yeah I did one of the senior challenges and was able to get 59/65 within the 40 mins [albeit i did need to get a bit of help for 1 or 2 of the questions], the last question I did run out of time to do, but I don't think I'd be able to easily complete it.

Well done! Hopefully your speed will improve over time.
Well done! Hopefully your speed will improve over time.

Thanks! Yeah me too, but I'm pretty sure most of the question 10s are mainly the more difficult ones that take up more time. And an issue with many of the excercises is that I'm probably writing code quite inefficiently, [even if its right], so I do need to look over some python techniques ig.
Reply 6
Original post by UndecisiveBoy
Thanks! Yeah me too, but I'm pretty sure most of the question 10s are mainly the more difficult ones that take up more time. And an issue with many of the excercises is that I'm probably writing code quite inefficiently, [even if its right], so I do need to look over some python techniques ig.

Yeah I have done the BIO and I've looked at sample solutions on github which helped me learn how to optimise. I've also been compiling some useful code snippets like numbers = map(int, input().split()) for taking a line of numbers. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/python-tricks-competitive-coding/
Reply 7
Also I've been attempting Advent of Code, I've only completed 4 days of it so far but it's fun practice for the longer questions. I think planning out the algorithm in pseudocode(or the hand-written python-ish I do) is the most important step when the problem is complex.
Yeah I have done the BIO and I've looked at sample solutions on github which helped me learn how to optimise. I've also been compiling some useful code snippets like numbers = map(int, input().split()) for taking a line of numbers. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/python-tricks-competitive-coding/

ah right thanks for the link i'll check it out. BIO looks really complicated for me, and my school isn't doing it. [I don't think]
Also I've been attempting Advent of Code, I've only completed 4 days of it so far but it's fun practice for the longer questions. I think planning out the algorithm in pseudocode(or the hand-written python-ish I do) is the most important step when the problem is complex.

yeah that's good practice too, might check it out.
Reply 10
Accidental find: I went on wayback machine to visit the old versions of the challenges page, and copied the links to older challenges and pasted it in my real browser and it worked.... I could've just ask my teacher but yeah.
BIO is quite difficult compared to OUCC and really tests problem solving
Reply 11
Original post by Aarti.padia
I don’t understand it. Can you share links please?
Also where can I find answers?

https://web.archive.org/web/20220925111340/https://bebras.uk/index.php?action=user_competitions
Links to the 2021 challenges. Once you click on a challenge, copy the bebras URL in the bar next to Waybackmachine logo and open it in a new tab. They're in review mode.
I think for answers you might have to ask your teacher for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending