The Student Room Group

Self-Funding Educational Psychology Doctorate

Hi all,
I just have some questions about self-funding on the Educational Psychology Professional Doctorate. Out of the universities in England that provide the Educational Psychology Doctorate, to my knowledge, only University of Nottingham, University of East London and University College London provide self-funded places. My question is, provided you meet the entry requirements, what are the chances of securing a place on the course as a self-funded student? Is there a chance you may still not get accepted? Will you have to follow the same interview process etc as those applying through the Educational Psychology Funded Training EPFT/ AEP ?
Thank you all in advance
UCL is not continuing the course as of this year.

You will still have to have an interview and it will be similar but maybe not exactly the same if it is done at a different time (eg a group task would be adapted or not included). I don't know how many self funded places are done, but it's likely to not be many (maybe only one a year in total, if that). You should get the bursary (or salary) from placement in years 2 and 3 though
Original post by Interrobang
UCL is not continuing the course as of this year.

You will still have to have an interview and it will be similar but maybe not exactly the same if it is done at a different time (eg a group task would be adapted or not included). I don't know how many self funded places are done, but it's likely to not be many (maybe only one a year in total, if that). You should get the bursary (or salary) from placement in years 2 and 3 though

Thanks so much Interrobang for all your help !
Would you happen to know the likelihood of securing a place as a self-funded student ? As you say, because there maybe only one place a year, would it still be as competitive as applying through the EPFT scheme? I know the success rate applying through the EPFT scheme ranges from 4% to 15% depending on the University.
Original post by oconnorjohn1001
Thanks so much Interrobang for all your help !
Would you happen to know the likelihood of securing a place as a self-funded student ? As you say, because there maybe only one place a year, would it still be as competitive as applying through the EPFT scheme? I know the success rate applying through the EPFT scheme ranges from 4% to 15% depending on the University.

There's no easy way to know. There probably aren't many people who apply outside of the standard scheme cos they can't afford it (it will probably usually be international students). You will still have to be seen as a suitable candidate, so that is down to you and how you perform on the day. If they do have more than one apply, the unis may only take one cos of securing placements, but that may not be the case either
Original post by Interrobang
There's no easy way to know. There probably aren't many people who apply outside of the standard scheme cos they can't afford it (it will probably usually be international students). You will still have to be seen as a suitable candidate, so that is down to you and how you perform on the day. If they do have more than one apply, the unis may only take one cos of securing placements, but that may not be the case either

Thanks so much Interrobang ! I really appreciate your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest