The Student Room Group

Finance for a repeat year if I have a foundation year

I completed a foundation year in 2018 I then after completion left uni for a gap year instead of going onto my chosen course that I had the foundation year integrated to. In 2020 I joined the same uni but changed my course and applied using my foundation year for access. Within this degree I have had to resit my 2nd year and am now going into my 3rd year. My question is will I get funding or will I be declined?
Original post by Sophjjxx
I completed a foundation year in 2018 I then after completion left uni for a gap year instead of going onto my chosen course that I had the foundation year integrated to. In 2020 I joined the same uni but changed my course and applied using my foundation year for access. Within this degree I have had to resit my 2nd year and am now going into my 3rd year. My question is will I get funding or will I be declined?

Hi Sophie, so this will be your second repeat since leaving further education? Is that correct? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Sophie, so this will be your second repeat since leaving further education? Is that correct? Thanks, Jason

Hi,
So I sat a foundation year that was integrated to psychology but I left that course (I only sat the foundation year I switched course so never began the psychology 3 year course) to study a law course. Now in my 2nd year of law I failed 2nd year and had to repeat. I’ve finished the repeat and passed and now going into 3rd year but I’m worried my foundation year was my gift year and I won’t be able to fund my 3rd year. Hope this makes better sense
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi,
So I sat a foundation year that was integrated to psychology but I left that course (I only sat the foundation year I switched course so never began the psychology 3 year course) to study a law course. Now in my 2nd year of law I failed 2nd year and had to repeat. I’ve finished the repeat and passed and now going into 3rd year but I’m worried my foundation year was my gift year and I won’t be able to fund my 3rd year. Hope this makes better sense

Thanks and this is a full time course? If so, in order to gain back a year of tuition fees you'd only be eligible if you previously weren't able to complete this due to reasons outwith your control. I've enclosed further information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year Thanks, Jason
Hi,

Based on my experience, if you start a degree with a foundation year, complete the foundation year then change course, then the foundation year uses up the "gift" year. So if you have to repeat a year in the new course, you have to self fund tuition fees for the first year you don't have enough funding for the remainder of the course. Usually you will still be eligible for a maintenance loan though, I believe.

However it's a bit unusual that you are only now potentially having to self fund third year and you didn't need to self fund the second year repeat to start with.
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi,

Thanks and this is a full time course? If so, in order to gain back a year of tuition fees you'd only be eligible if you previously weren't able to complete this due to reasons outwith your control. I've enclosed further information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-ba...peating-a-year Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending