The Student Room Group

No maths/science gcses but wants to do a levels

hey! i need to apply to college soon and i’m hoping to do english language, sociology and politics at the sixth form but at college (if that makes sense)
unfortunately they want 5 gcse’s at a 5+, including english and maths.
i am able to achieve 5 gcse’s at 5+, however i can only realistically achieve maths at a 4 and chances of me getting a science gcse are slim.
do you think i’d be able to ‘argue my case’ to get in??? i’m not doing any subjects involving maths or science, and i achieve 7+ in all my other subjects?
any advice from people who have been in this situation would be greatly appreciated thank you xx
Original post by annonymous1000
hey! i need to apply to college soon and i’m hoping to do english language, sociology and politics at the sixth form but at college (if that makes sense)
i am able to achieve 5 gcse’s at 5+, however i can only realistically achieve maths at a 4 and chances of me getting a science gcse are slim.
do you think i’d be able to ‘argue my case’ to get in??? i’m not doing any subjects involving maths or science, and i achieve 7+ in all my other subjects?
any advice from people who have been in this situation would be greatly appreciated thank you xx

Why is it that you say, "i can only realistically achieve maths at a 4"? Is that what your current school have predicted you'll get? In fact, later you say, "i’m not doing any subjects involving maths...". How can that be? You've dropped Maths GCSE??

I'm not sure why you've said that the "chances of me getting a science gcse are slim", given that they haven't asked for a science GCSE. :confused:

They are not going to be open to negotiating-away their entry requirements now - before you've even taken your GCSEs. Instead, if they offer you a place, they offer it in the condition that you get "5 gcse’s at a 5+, including english and maths".

If, on results day, you haven't achieved that, then they'll have a decision to make. What they opt to do will depend on their other applicants. If they have applicants sitting on a waiting list who've met or exceeded those entry requirements, then you'll likely be out of luck. However, if they have to choose between you (having just missed the required grades) an an empty seat, they'll likely choose you.
Original post by annonymous1000

I guess you could try but ultimately they'll decide in results day.

If you still want to do A-levels you could do them privately - I decided to do so
Original post by DataVenia

Why is it that you say, "i can only realistically achieve maths at a 4"? Is that what your current school have predicted you'll get? In fact, later you say, "i’m not doing any subjects involving maths...". How can that be? You've dropped Maths GCSE??

I'm not sure why you've said that the "chances of me getting a science gcse are slim", given that they haven't asked for a science GCSE. :confused:

They are not going to be open to negotiating-away their entry requirements now - before you've even taken your GCSEs. Instead, if they offer you a place, they offer it in the condition that you get "5 gcse’s at a 5+, including english and maths".

If, on results day, you haven't achieved that, then they'll have a decision to make. What they opt to do will depend on their other applicants. If they have applicants sitting on a waiting list who've met or exceeded those entry requirements, then you'll likely be out of luck. However, if they have to choose between you (having just missed the required grades) an an empty seat, they'll likely choose you.

sorry i should have been clearer, i’m not doing any subjects involving maths at a level, all the subjects i’m interested in are writing based. thank you for your reply tho very helpful!!
Reply 4
hi
Reply 5
This is a decision entirely for the Sixth Form you are applying to - no-one here can tell you what their policy is or what their decision might be. You'll have to email or phone that specific Sixth Form and ask.
Original post by McGinger
This is a decision entirely for the Sixth Form you are applying to - no-one here can tell you what their policy is or what their decision might be. You'll have to email or phone that specific Sixth Form and ask.

thank you, i have to apply in the next few weeks (despite not having done my gcse’s -silly system) so i’m just going to show enthusiasm for my a level and hope for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest