The Student Room Group

EPQ rewording/rephrasing

I'm doing my EPQ on controversial authors (Whether we should still be reading their books, Do they influence the people reading their works)

Ultimately, SHOULD we be actively avoiding their work and not directly supporting them (buying second hand) / recognising their transgressions or we SHOULD NOT associate authors with their works and continue supporting/buying/reading what they have written and keeping them as two different entities (is that possible?) and has learning about an authors views gone too far

This idea came from 'Separating art from the artist'
Currently my EPQ title is 'Does the act of separating an author from their work have a harmful impact?'
but i don't really like how i have decided to word it - it feels quite juvenile and don't rlly want it to be similar to 'Separating art from the artist' and idk whether i should say abt harmful impact or just leave it solely abt if we should "separate them"

also if anyone has any article links / recommendation in general for my reading that would be great!!
Original post by JessMay1
I'm doing my EPQ on controversial authors (Whether we should still be reading their books, Do they influence the people reading their works)

Ultimately, SHOULD we be actively avoiding their work and not directly supporting them (buying second hand) / recognising their transgressions or we SHOULD NOT associate authors with their works and continue supporting/buying/reading what they have written and keeping them as two different entities (is that possible?) and has learning about an authors views gone too far

This idea came from 'Separating art from the artist'
Currently my EPQ title is 'Does the act of separating an author from their work have a harmful impact?'
but i don't really like how i have decided to word it - it feels quite juvenile and don't rlly want it to be similar to 'Separating art from the artist' and idk whether i should say abt harmful impact or just leave it solely abt if we should "separate them"

also if anyone has any article links / recommendation in general for my reading that would be great!!

Perhaps use the to what extent format to allow yourself to explore both sides of the argument instead of simply coming to the yes/no conclusion. Here is simply an idea: "To what extent should readers separate an author from their work, considering the ethical implications of supporting controversial figures, and how does this decision influence the literary landscape and cultural discourse?". Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending