The Student Room Group

friend plagiaring my work

i sent my first essay as an example to a friend who is on the verge of failing the course. i submitted that essay in october. we are working on coursework and they gave sent me a para of his work where i picked up on a similarity that they have obviously taken from my work but rephrased & used different words.

its not a direct copy of the sentence but i recognised the wording immediately, even though it was rephrased a bit. will i be done for this?
Has your friend submitted the work with the paragraph they showed you? If so, when?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Has your friend submitted the work with the paragraph they showed you? If so, when?

not yet they just sent me it and i don’t want to be rude/overreacting by telling them to change the wording bc it has obviously been rephrased
Reply 3
Short answer, yes you can.
Simple one to raise.

"I'm a little worried that you've reworded my example here, it was close enough for me to recognise it. Could you re-do that bit as I don't want us both to get flagged for plagiarism."
Original post by Anonymous #1
i sent my first essay as an example to a friend who is on the verge of failing the course. i submitted that essay in october. we are working on coursework and they gave sent me a para of his work where i picked up on a similarity that they have obviously taken from my work but rephrased & used different words.

its not a direct copy of the sentence but i recognised the wording immediately, even though it was rephrased a bit. will i be done for this?

Hi there,

In most cases, yes you can get in trouble for this as they don't always know who has plagiarised who's work and even if they know, you shouldn't be sharing your work for people to copy so you can get in trouble.

I would suggest to talk to your friend and ask them to rephrase it as I'm sure they won't want to get in trouble for it either. Explain that you are worried about getting in trouble for it as it could have bad consequences for both of you.
If they are not willing to change it, you could always go to your tutor and explain the situation. I know it can be hard going against your friend like this but if you have asked them to change it and explained why and they are not willing to then you should do this otherwise it will reflect badly on you.

If it was close enough for you to recognise it then it may get flagged up so it is better to be safe than sorry and be prepared for this in advance.

I hope this helps,
Lucy - SHU student ambassador.
Reply 6
Original post by hallamstudents

Hi there,

In most cases, yes you can get in trouble for this as they don't always know who has plagiarised who's work and even if they know, you shouldn't be sharing your work for people to copy so you can get in trouble.

I would suggest to talk to your friend and ask them to rephrase it as I'm sure they won't want to get in trouble for it either. Explain that you are worried about getting in trouble for it as it could have bad consequences for both of you.
If they are not willing to change it, you could always go to your tutor and explain the situation. I know it can be hard going against your friend like this but if you have asked them to change it and explained why and they are not willing to then you should do this otherwise it will reflect badly on you.

If it was close enough for you to recognise it then it may get flagged up so it is better to be safe than sorry and be prepared for this in advance.

I hope this helps,
Lucy - SHU student ambassador.

They haven’t copied sentences straight out, just phrases or two or three words, like they have rephrased the sentence but i can pick up the points I used in my own work. Like they could just think its a coincidence surely, if its just a few words and not a direct copy of a sentence

Take this as a lesson. Do not ever share your work with others. Its far too much of a risk to being flagged for academic misconduct.

Going forwards, if someone asks for help, no matter how much of a "friend" you think they are, just give them a vague points about what you included, but never whole pieces of your work.

As for this situation, I would suggest you try and resolve the issue with your friend or inform your tutor of this.
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi there,

It's really kind of you for trying to help your friend but you have to prioritise yourself.

You joined university to improve your own knowledge and understanding, not to look after other classmates.

I know you tried to be supportive, but if the system notices that the two of you submitted similar assignments, you both will get in trouble and there could be harsh consequences.

I would advise to speak to your friend immediately and if they seem unwilling, please speak to one of your lecturers or course leaders.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending