The Student Room Group

Psychologist

Hi,

I have a 2:2 in English literature, what are my chances of becoming a psychologist if I do a conversion course? What would be all the steps involved?

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Daphne26
Hi,

I have a 2:2 in English literature, what are my chances of becoming a psychologist if I do a conversion course? What would be all the steps involved?

Thank you

Academically your 2.2 will hold you back (both from pre doctoral jobs and the doctorate itself), if you are aiming to pursue a Clinical Psychologist role. However, it is not impossible to redeem yourself. Do well on the conversion, most likely do masters and do well, and get circa 2 to 3 years good quality experience (research assistants, assistant psychologist, cbt therapist trainee roles, experience with clinical psychologists etc). Then apply for the doctorate, which itself takes 3 years.

Obviously the above summary is not exhaustive (you may need many more years experience) and differs across applicants, but the above would out you in a good stead for applying. The above is for the Clinical Psychologist role, but will be different for Ed, Forensic and Counselling Psychologists. The doctorate entry requirements also differ depending on the university, so you may be better applying for those with selection tests rather than just scoring of applications (you can google all this in the future, no need to do now).

Good luck,

Greg
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
Academically your 2.2 will hold you back (both from pre doctoral jobs and the doctorate itself), if you are aiming to pursue a Clinical Psychologist role. However, it is not impossible to redeem yourself. Do well on the conversion, most likely do masters and do well, and get circa 2 to 3 years good quality experience (research assistants, assistant psychologist, cbt therapist trainee roles, experience with clinical psychologists etc). Then apply for the doctorate, which itself takes 3 years.

Obviously the above summary is not exhaustive (you may need many more years experience) and differs across applicants, but the above would out you in a good stead for applying. The above is for the Clinical Psychologist role, but will be different for Ed, Forensic and Counselling Psychologists. The doctorate entry requirements also differ depending on the university, so you may be better applying for those with selection tests rather than just scoring of applications (you can google all this in the future, no need to do now).

Good luck,

Greg

Thanks a lot Greg, this is perfect. I will save this answer and come back to it :smile:
Original post by Daphne26
Hi,

Thank you

@Daphne26
I did an MSc Psychology conversion after studying a different subject. As some general advice, make sure the course you choose is accredited by the British Psychological Society. Also, I would check the Universities rating with the QAA (a bit like Ofsted) and also their Teaching Excellence Framework report - both readily available online.

I studied at Arden, 100% online (although there are blended learning options) and had a great time

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest