The Student Room Group

MSc Organisational Psychology

I'm an International student planning to pursue MSc Organisational Psychology from the UK in September 2024.

Is the course a good one for International students?

Can any who has done this course share their experience with me? In terms of both- the course content and the employment opportunities afterwards?

Thank you!
Original post by I_K_00
I'm an International student planning to pursue MSc Organisational Psychology from the UK in September 2024.

Is the course a good one for International students?

Can any who has done this course share their experience with me? In terms of both- the course content and the employment opportunities afterwards?

Thank you!

Hi @I_K_00,

I studied MSc Organisational & Business Psychology at the University of Kent in 2022/23. Most of my friends on the course were international students on my course who really enjoyed it and said they found it very accessible - we were a small but tight-knit cohort which was really nice.

I personally really enjoyed the course, and found it really interesting applying psychology and behaviour studies to different real-life workplace scenarios and problems. We even worked with actual organisations to help them solve specific problems using psychological theory, which gave us really valuable experience. We also studied optional modules like Entrepreneurship or modules offered by the Kent Business School, like Human Resources Management. I actually enjoyed it so much that I'm now doing a PhD at Kent based on my MSc dissertation!

Whilst I continued with further study after my Masters, my other friends found the course to provide great career opportunities and are now all in further work in HR, management, consultancy or other areas. Organisational Psychology provides good career prospects as you gain a unique insight and experience of solving business problems with psychological theory and statistics, which organisations really value.

You can find more information on the MSc Organisational and Business Psychology course at the University of Kent here:
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/366/organisational-and-business-psychology

If you have any further questions, definitely let me know!

Natalie :smile:
- University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @I_K_00,

I studied MSc Organisational & Business Psychology at the University of Kent in 2022/23. Most of my friends on the course were international students on my course who really enjoyed it and said they found it very accessible - we were a small but tight-knit cohort which was really nice.

I personally really enjoyed the course, and found it really interesting applying psychology and behaviour studies to different real-life workplace scenarios and problems. We even worked with actual organisations to help them solve specific problems using psychological theory, which gave us really valuable experience. We also studied optional modules like Entrepreneurship or modules offered by the Kent Business School, like Human Resources Management. I actually enjoyed it so much that I'm now doing a PhD at Kent based on my MSc dissertation!

Whilst I continued with further study after my Masters, my other friends found the course to provide great career opportunities and are now all in further work in HR, management, consultancy or other areas. Organisational Psychology provides good career prospects as you gain a unique insight and experience of solving business problems with psychological theory and statistics, which organisations really value.

You can find more information on the MSc Organisational and Business Psychology course at the University of Kent here:
https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/366/organisational-and-business-psychology

If you have any further questions, definitely let me know!

Hey! Thank you for your response.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience!

One doubt I had was that since the course at your uni is not BPS accredited for completion of stage one towards becoming a Chartered Occidental Psychologist, does it cause any issues in terms of employment opportunities?

Otherwise also, what is the value of "officially" Chartered Occupational Psychologists in the UK? Is it necessary to become one to work with companies?
Original post by I_K_00
Hey! Thank you for your response.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience!

One doubt I had was that since the course at your uni is not BPS accredited for completion of stage one towards becoming a Chartered Occidental Psychologist, does it cause any issues in terms of employment opportunities?

Otherwise also, what is the value of "officially" Chartered Occupational Psychologists in the UK? Is it necessary to become one to work with companies?

Hey @I_K_00,

So the MSc Organisational & Business Psychology course at Kent is accredited by the Association of Business Psychology instead, so to my understanding, essentially you are a 'Business Psychologist' rather than an 'Occupational Psychologist' once you complete the course. I guess it depends on what you want to do with the course, if you want to become a Chartered Occupational Psychologist, use that title and work in specific Occupational Psychology titled roles which require this accreditation, then yes it may be of more value to study a course which is accredited by BPS for Occupational Psychology. These courses are generally called MSc Occupational Psychology rather than Organisational/Business. But otherwise, it is just a different institution that has accredited the course. :h:

My friends who did the course have all gone in to related roles, such as consultancy (working as an organisational and business psychologist on a consulting basis with organisations), HR, management, marketing and business analyst roles utilising their degree (and I am using it to do a PhD and hopefully work in academia as I mentioned before). So I would say it doesn't inhibit career opportunities nor stops you working with companies/having a job as an organisational/business psychologist, just depends on the jobs you want to apply for and if you want to go down the specific path of being a Chartered Occupational Psychologist (so can then use that title).

Hope this helps!

(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending