The Student Room Group

HCPC registration

Hello, I have recently completed Msc in neuropsychology from university of essex, UK. I want to attain HCPC registration for practitioner psychologist. But my course is not enlisted by HCPC registered university/courses list in the form. How can I get HCPC registration if my course is not approved/enlisted in the registration application form. I hope I explained my question ok. Hoping to receive a reply about this. Previously, I hold clinical psychology Msc and RCI(rehabilitation council of India) training in India, and also have work experience for 2 years
Original post by Anushababbar24
Hello, I have recently completed Msc in neuropsychology from university of essex, UK. I want to attain HCPC registration for practitioner psychologist. But my course is not enlisted by HCPC registered university/courses list in the form. How can I get HCPC registration if my course is not approved/enlisted in the registration application form. I hope I explained my question ok. Hoping to receive a reply about this. Previously, I hold clinical psychology Msc and RCI(rehabilitation council of India) training in India, and also have work experience for 2 years

When you register with the HCPC as as Practitioner Psychologist you need to specify your "modality" - i.e. what type of Practitioner Psychologist you're registering as (Clinical Psychologist, Forensic Psychologist, Educational Psychologist etc.). For which modality are you attempting to register? (This will allow us to establish the level and type of postgraduate education you require.)

Note that "Neuropsychologist" is not a modality recognised by the HCPC. They recognise:

Clinical psychologist
Forensic psychologist
Counselling psychologist
Health psychologist
Educational psychologist
Occupational psychologist
Sport and exercise psychologist

Also, do you hold Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of the British Psychological Society? This is normally referred to as GBC, and is typically obtained via your undergraduate degree. If not, it can be obtained via a postgraduate conversion course (which is itself a Master's degree).

Please answer the two questions in bold above.
In order to be a practitioner psychologist you need to have done either an accredited masters plus supervised practice, or an accredited doctorate.

There is such a thing as a clinical neuropsychologist but this involves becoming a clinical/educational/counselling psychologist, followed by the BPS academic (postgrad course or exams) and practice requirements (relevant work supervised by a clinical neuropsychologist)

The HCPC can also recognise appropriate qualifications from abroad too (if your course allowed you to practise in india) - you'll need to contact them directly in that instance though. See this info [url=https://www.hcpc-uk.org/registration/getting-on-the-register/international-applications/]https://www.hcpc-uk.org/registration/getting-on-the-register/international-applications/]https://www.hcpc-uk.org/registration/getting-on-the-register/international-applications/

Otherwise you would need to do one of the accredited courses (and if needed, the additional stage 2 requirements). To do one of these you would need to have a course that provides you with GBC, as mentioned above.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anushababbar24
Have you considered joining the HCPC register via the international Route? Given you have MSc in Clinical psychology from India and you have 2 years post qualification experience

Quick Reply

Latest