The Student Room Group

Modelling or academics..or is there a way to do both?

Hi everyone, I am currently a Year 11 student going in to do A-levels in September. My average grade across my subjects is a Grade 8, and I have already achieved an 8 in religion and a 9 in russian. I am about to go and study a-levels once my GCSES are finished in May. These will most likely be History, English Literature, Politics and Fine Art-but I may change this due to the massive pressure of doing 4. I feel I am in a unique position being both an academic and creative student as well as having ambitions outside of academics in pursuing a modelling career post 18. I'm slightly worried about my future post-alevels despite it being quite early to think about this. I want to go to a competitive Russel Group or University abroad to study either Law or English but also being 5,10 and extremely interested in the world of fashion have ambitions to be a model and have done for the past 3 years of my life but have been putting it off due to my determination to do well in school and not get distracted by something like modelling despite already being offered a position as one in an agency, I have chosen to put it off. I don't know what to do, I feel stuck and alone. Will taking a gap year be worth it? Should I squash my dreams of being a model for a stable traditional career? Once my degree is done will I have to go straight into a conventional job or will I still have time to make a go for my dream? I would love to be something like a lawyer and love it as a backbone, a safety net to fall back on but I'm not sure it would be possible to do both or if the degree would be much help if I was to run dry as a model. It's an odd mix as I said and I feel like there is so much to unpack and I would appreciate some advice.
Original post by okyespls
Hi everyone, I am currently a Year 11 student going in to do A-levels in September. My average grade across my subjects is a Grade 8, and I have already achieved an 8 in religion and a 9 in russian. I am about to go and study a-levels once my GCSES are finished in May. These will most likely be History, English Literature, Politics and Fine Art-but I may change this due to the massive pressure of doing 4. I feel I am in a unique position being both an academic and creative student as well as having ambitions outside of academics in pursuing a modelling career post 18. I'm slightly worried about my future post-alevels despite it being quite early to think about this. I want to go to a competitive Russel Group or University abroad to study either Law or English but also being 5,10 and extremely interested in the world of fashion have ambitions to be a model and have done for the past 3 years of my life but have been putting it off due to my determination to do well in school and not get distracted by something like modelling despite already being offered a position as one in an agency, I have chosen to put it off. I don't know what to do, I feel stuck and alone. Will taking a gap year be worth it? Should I squash my dreams of being a model for a stable traditional career? Once my degree is done will I have to go straight into a conventional job or will I still have time to make a go for my dream? I would love to be something like a lawyer and love it as a backbone, a safety net to fall back on but I'm not sure it would be possible to do both or if the degree would be much help if I was to run dry as a model. It's an odd mix as I said and I feel like there is so much to unpack and I would appreciate some advice.

Lily Cole famously went to Cambridge and continued modelling and acting so evidently it's possible to do both...

As for what you do after your degree that's completely up to you.

Quick Reply

Latest