The Student Room Group

strained familial relationships

i have a few strained relationships with my family. i am not on the best of terms with my grandma and brother, however my relationship with them is functional enough, although some days are worse than others. i am not speaking to my uncle. my uncle has put me down repeatedly over various things in one way or another in every interaction i have with him. out of self respect i have distanced. my grandma is making this out to be my fault after a conversation with my uncle's wife, who lied about a few things and made them out to be my fault. i feel gaslit.

it takes a lot of energy to distance. when he comes over for family gatherings etc. i'm expected to be happy to see him despite all the hurt he has caused me. then i feel for the sake of everyone else i should be so it's not awkward. should i drop it for my own peace and continue to be treated this way? the memories stick with me so i find this hard to do. i can't lay boundaries and express how things have hurt me, because frankly he doesn't care. he is aware of how terrible some of the things he has said to me are. the lies that my aunt told also makes me not want to drop this but i know its not sustainable or a fix to keep this up.
Reply 1
If this is legit, Maybe talk about it to your parents?
Family are the only ones who will be there for you no matter what, never let it become a clouded distant memory.
Make amends and maybe speaking to your parents and explaining it, you might be able to come to a reasonable resolution

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending