The Student Room Group

Selfcare Tips!

Hi everyone!

I hope you all have had an eventful and restful winter break and are ready to get back into the new semester! I won’t lie, but getting back into the rhythm of things have been rather difficult. Although the shorter daylight hours and longer nights have made me less productive than we would like to be, it’s still super important we take extra care of ourselves during this season to avoid burnout and a decline in our wellbeing.

In this thread I will be sharing a few helpful selfcare tips I have adopted in my daily routine to keep up my motivation and overall happiness.

1. Being mindful of your environment
It's too easy to become disconnected from our immediate surroundings. However, the environment we surround ourselves in plays a crucial role in shaping our overall wellbeing. I’ve noticed that whenever I begin cleaning and decluttering the areas in my flat I instantly feel better and motivated to get work done. By being mindful of my environment it creates a space that fosters tranquility and balance. I begin to make conscious choices that promote a healthier and more fulfilling life. Whether it's a clutter-free workspace, or a cozy nook for relaxation, intentionally shaping your surroundings can enhance your mental and emotional state.

2. Making time for physical activity
In the midst of study schedules, looming deadlines, and the constant hum of academic pressure, I became aware that carving out time for regular physical activity becomes a necessity for my mental wellbeing. A few times a week I would dedicate some time for the gym, not particularly for any specific fitness goal- but as a stress management tool. I often feel my mental fatigue alleviated after physical activity, a moment away from textbooks and journal articles. Furthermore, regular exercise also improves our retention, concentration and information processing!

3. Deciding how and who you spend your time with
Despite the academic pressure, sometimes it’s not always about filling every moment with productivity, but also balancing our education and social lives. Although academic commitments are undeniably important, an exert imbalance can lead to burnout and compromise our wellbeing.

If you like spending your free-time in the company of others, occasionally spending a day with your friends and loved ones can give you the uplifting you might not realise you needed. I love hosting and having friends over for dinner when I get the chance, lounging on the couch with a spine-chilling thriller on the projector. I feel a deep sense of content after meeting up with friends as I am reminded of how well-loved and appreciated I am. However, if you choose to spend some alone time, take this opportunity to do something you enjoy! (preferably not doomscrolling through your TikTok fyp). You don’t necessarily have to stay at home if you don’t wish to. You can go cafe hunting, take a stroll in the park, and my favourite: retail therapy.

Remember that taking the time to take care of yourself can ironically be challenging. Sometimes, the thought of doing anything can be too much. If you feel this way, don’t punish yourself. Break down your tasks into smaller steps. The great thing about taking small steps is that it doesn’t matter how small your goal is. This way, the completion of any task, regardless of how simple it may seem is recognised as the achievement that it is.

I wish you all the best for this upcoming semester!

Take care,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending