The Student Room Group

safety university choice?

so i want to do an english literature degree, and i'm currently predicted four A*s. my uni choices right now are oxford, ucl, warwick, manchester, birmingham, however i'm worried that the AAB entry requirement for birmingham is too high to really be considered a solid safety. should i go for something lower? or is this a silly concern lol
Original post by whalewithknees
so i want to do an english literature degree, and i'm currently predicted four A*s. my uni choices right now are oxford, ucl, warwick, manchester, birmingham, however i'm worried that the AAB entry requirement for birmingham is too high to really be considered a solid safety. should i go for something lower? or is this a silly concern lol

If your A*A*A*A* prediction is genuine (and not your school/college being overly optimistic) then having an AAB uni as your insurance choice is absolutely fine.
Reply 2

Lancaster are currently accepting BBC in clearing if that helps.Were any of yours in clearing?Tbh you should be fine if you land One A*AA.Do go to the open days.Oxford is on 15th Sept.Book the others early as they get full up.

AAB is fine for your predictions. If in the unlikely event you drop lower there will be decent options in clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
Lancaster are currently accepting BBC in clearing .

Even if this is true, this does not mean that they will accept those with low grades next year - either for offers within the admissions cycle or in Clearing
Reply 5

Be aware that you only need to apply for Oxford by the Oct deadline - you could add any of your other choices at any time up to the Jan deadline. This doesnt have any impact on your chances of an offer.

This means you could leave one or more UCAS choices 'empty' and add them later if you realised that Year 13 was not going as well as you had hoped and you may not get those high grades.
Original post by McGinger
Be aware that you only need to apply for Oxford by the Oct deadline - you could add any of your other choices at any time up to the Jan deadline. This doesnt have any impact on your chances of an offer.

This means you could leave one or more UCAS choices 'empty' and add them later if you realised that Year 13 was not going as well as you had hoped and you may not get those high grades.

i hadn't even considered that, thank you !
Reply 7
i hadn't even considered that, thank you !

Lots of people assume you have to apply for your 5 choices all at once - and actually you can be far more strategic if you keep back 1 or 2 choices like this. Your school will lean on you either not to do this, or to pick any outstanding choices asap, but you can ignore them as they have no control over this at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending