The Student Room Group

How does special consideration work

Hi, so today I got taken ill from my last A-level exam due to a lung infection for which I have got prescriptions and doctors notes and so on for however I was too ill to continue my exam I was about 10 minutes in before the examiner terminated my exam because they believed that I needed medical assistance because I was really pale and visibly struggling.

So my school has applied for special consideration for me. I have already sat 2/3 Religious Studies A-level (eduqas) papers which means I have done 66% of the total course. So how does this work for what grade I get do they take into account my marks off my first two papers or other factors as well?

I hope it doesn't mess up my chances to hit my offer to Bath
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by user123456324
Hi, so today I got taken ill from my last A-level exam due to a lung infection for which I have got prescriptions and doctors notes and so on for however I was too ill to continue my exam I was about 10 minutes in before the examiner terminated my exam because they believed that I needed medical assistance because I was really pale and visibly struggling.

So my school has applied for special consideration for me. I have already sat 2/3 Religious Studies A-level (eduqas) papers which means I have done 66% of the total course. So how does this work for what grade I get do they take into account my marks off my first two papers or other factors as well?

I hope it doesn't mess up my chances to hit my offer to Bath

In that situation the most likely outcome is that they'll use the two papers you've already taken to arrive at your final grade.

They won't just take those marks directly (as those two papers might have been easier or harder than the paper you missed). What I'm about to describe is the gist of what they'll likely do, with necessarily being entirely accurate. They'll look at other candidates who scored the same as you on the first two papers, and then assign you the average of what those candidates got for the "missed" paper. That way, any difference in the difficulty of the papers should be eradicated.

Where this approach doesn't work is if the "missed" paper is one that you're particularly good at, and tend to score well on. But equally, you "win" if this paper is one you typically perform badly in.

You can find "A guide to the special consideration process" here, with your situation being covered in section 4, "Candidates who are absent from a timetabled component/unit for acceptable reasons" (I think that's how you'd be treated) - but it doesn't provide an awful lot of detail.
Reply 2
ah ty for the explanation I feel like i did rlly well in the first two papers so I hope it will be fine just been quite a stressful day working it all out
Original post by DataVenia
In that situation the most likely outcome is that they'll use the two papers you've already taken to arrive at your final grade.

They won't just take those marks directly (as those two papers might have been easier or harder than the paper you missed). What I'm about to describe is the gist of what they'll likely do, with necessarily being entirely accurate. They'll look at other candidates who scored the same as you on the first two papers, and then assign you the average of what those candidates got for the "missed" paper. That way, any difference in the difficulty of the papers should be eradicated.

Where this approach doesn't work is if the "missed" paper is one that you're particularly good at, and tend to score well on. But equally, you "win" if this paper is one you typically perform badly in.

You can find "A guide to the special consideration process" here, with your situation being covered in section 4, "Candidates who are absent from a timetabled component/unit for acceptable reasons" (I think that's how you'd be treated) - but it doesn't provide an awful lot of detail.
ah ty for the explanation I feel like i did rlly well in the first two papers so I hope it will be fine just been quite a stressful day working it all out

If you did really well in the first two papers, then fingers crossed for a decent outcome in August! :crossedf:
update on this thank you for the help. All of the special consideration has been applied and I received an A just under an A* which I am over the moon with !
Original post by DataVenia
If you did really well in the first two papers, then fingers crossed for a decent outcome in August! :crossedf:
update on this thank you for the help. All of the special consideration has been applied and I received an A just under an A* which I am over the moon with !

That's fantastic news! :biggrin: Well done you! :party:

(And thank you so much for updating this thread - it's always great to hear how things worked out.)

Congratulations, that's incredible news!

And I have to agree with DataVenia, it's lovely to hear about this!

Once again congratulations! You should be very proud of yourself, and I wish you all the best in your future studies and career! :biggrin:

Best,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative

Quick Reply

Latest