The Student Room Group

UK governments to ban disposable vapes

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StriderHort
I didn't claim either is necessary (few retail products are) I just think they're not in the same league in terms of waste/litter/danger. The fact that we already let smoking get as far as it did is no excuse to be complacent on nipping these things in the bud.

Smoking itself is just going to be v stubborn to eradicate as we've let/encouraged people to get addicted for generations, the authorities that would need to ban it are one of the biggest profiteers so it's a bit awkward.

I'd say that like vaping we need to make more of an effort to reduce the amount of people smoking (focus on vaping first though and bans like this are good imo). Rather than "well we can do it for disposable vapes but not smoking" or vice versa.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I'd say that like vaping we need to make more of an effort to reduce the amount of people smoking (focus on vaping first though and bans like this are good imo). Rather than "well we can do it for disposable vapes but not smoking" or vice versa.

Thinking longer term, in the last decade or so we've considerably clamped down on smoking already compared to any other vice. It's banned in almost all non residential buildings, many vehicles, banned all adverts, sponsorships and even the boxes not to mention tougher age restrictions & hiked the price 900%-ish

As said its a delicate matter concerning addictions and the amount of money our treasury complicity takes in from it, we're a long ways off eradicating it yet.
Thinking longer term, in the last decade or so we've considerably clamped down on smoking already compared to any other vice. It's banned in almost all non residential buildings, many vehicles, banned all adverts, sponsorships and even the boxes not to mention tougher age restrictions & hiked the price 900%-ish
As said its a delicate matter concerning addictions and the amount of money our treasury complicity takes in from it, we're a long ways off eradicating it yet.
Hopefully that last point can happen some day but you’re right.
Reply 23
Original post by abacus98765
Rishi Sunak has announced a plan to ban disposable vapes.
https://news.sky.com/story/disposable-vapes-to-be-banned-over-concerns-of-sharp-increase-in-childrens-use-13058596
This follows concerns over their increasing use by under-18s. The ban is supported by Labour too, and by the Welsh and Scottish Governments, who will also implement a ban. The intention is to have a ban in place by the end of 2025.
What do you think?
Rishi sunak want people to live longer and happier , but sneaky kids will still find a way to vape. But majority wont and they will be happy :smile:

SIMPLE
Reply 24
Original post by Alm_xo
Rishi sunak want people to live longer and happier , but sneaky kids will still find a way to vape. But majority wont and they will be happy :smile:
SIMPLE
He doesn't give a **** how long we live, wise up
Original post by Talkative Toad
Hopefully that last point can happen some day but you’re right.

I think it will, its a legacy thing, we still have lots of long habit addicts that we need to kinda indulge tbh, but far less new uptakers I think, it is getting squeezed out as a common vice as we are making it more frustrating every year for those smokers left - less places to smoke, harder to buy them with plain packaging, price hikes etc, I believe a lot of tobacco companies know this is the swan song, quality has dropped significantly from many brands and they're looking to cut costs and make what revenue they can imo.

(the drop in quality was what got me to quit in the end - Orwell's 1984 described Victory Cigarettes! as these awful dry loose things that fell apart if you held them the wrong way - and that's the point a lot of our cigarette products are at now)
I think it will, its a legacy thing, we still have lots of long habit addicts that we need to kinda indulge tbh, but far less new uptakers I think, it is getting squeezed out as a common vice as we are making it more frustrating every year for those smokers left - less places to smoke, harder to buy them with plain packaging, price hikes etc, I believe a lot of tobacco companies know this is the swan song, quality has dropped significantly from many brands and they're looking to cut costs and make what revenue they can imo.

(the drop in quality was what got me to quit in the end - Orwell's 1984 described Victory Cigarettes! as these awful dry loose things that fell apart if you held them the wrong way - and that's the point a lot of our cigarette products are at now)

Yep I’m seeing less and less people starting to smoke (unlike vaping).
good decision but a bit too late tbh :dontknow:
literally everyone I know already vapes and they are too easily accessible for all ages - people I know as young as 13 have been to corner shops to buy them where the person working has literally told them to leave and then come back when the shop is empty to buy vapes
Reply 28
Original post by gjd800
He doesn't give a **** how long we live, wise up
i know , but banning vapes is definitely a good thing .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending