The Student Room Group

20 in First year

Hi, so I’ll be 20 in my first year of chem eng and that’s really stressing me out. I don’t want to be with people 2 years younger as they’ll prolly judge and I’m afraid I’ll have no friends. It seems very overwhelming.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by lolatung
Hi, so I’ll be 20 in my first year of chem eng and that’s really stressing me out. I don’t want to be with people 2 years younger as they’ll prolly judge and I’m afraid I’ll have no friends. It seems very overwhelming.

Hi,

What uni's have you applied for? I am currently 20 in my first year of uni, I can understand why your worried, but I can assure you that people start uni at all different ages for various different reasons. I have met and made friends with people in the same year as me who are older than me and younger. I'm sure you find people a similar age and even get along with people of different ages, as I've found the difference in age isn't noticeable.

Joining societies and doing extra activities outside of your course can also be a really great way to make friends who you will find things in common with. Even part-time work can be a way to meet people, through my current role as a student ambassador I have met people from lots of different courses and years. At the end of the day everyone is in the same boat as you and wants to make friends.

Good Luck :smile:
-Grace (Student Rep)
Reply 2
I was 24 in my first year, it barely matters.

Honestly not a problem. At this age, a 2 year age gap is not noticeable and nobody cares about your age anyway, so don't worry about it :smile:

Hey!

Firstly, what you are feeling is completely normal. Transitioning into university life is very difficult because of a lot of uncertainty and one overthinks a lot. But as a master's student, I have been in university for the past 5 years, and from my experience, 2 years age gap doesn't matter much. Sometimes you don't even realize the age gap. Trust me, there are plenty of opportunities to connect with people who share your interests and goals. Don't stress too much about it; just be yourself, and you'll find your tribe. Hope this helps!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're feeling stressed about this, but just know it is more common than you think!

People will start university at different ages for a variety of reasons. As someone who was 18 in my first year, I met people who were a lot older and it's hardly noticeable! No one really cares about it and it doesn't get spoken about a whole lot, so there is really nothing to worry about.

Just be yourself, join in with things you are interested in, and you'll find your people.

Best of luck,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending