The Student Room Group

Spirometry.. how can you have lower airway obstruction without lower?

I have had some spirometry results back and apparantly I have above average lower airways but the curve indicates that I have upper airway obstruction- likely throat.

Which fits well with my throat symptoms really. I don’t know the cause yet.

When I told my family they asked how Question about spirometry- how can there be upper obstruction but no lower??

I came back from a spirometry test (which apparantly showed above average lower airway but below average upper airway ie I was told the results indicated upper airway obstruction - likely throat

When I told my family they couldn’t understand how, if the upper airway is obstruction, the lower airway can be above average and receive air, as the air has to get through the upper airway first.

I know what they mean. Can anyone explain?
Reply 1
Original post by Awaitingquavers
Can anyone explain?

Your doctor
Original post by black tea
Your doctor

After a 3 month wait maybe he will
Reply 3
After a 3 month wait maybe he will

I very much doubt anyone here is going to be able to alleviate your health anxiety, unfortunately
Original post by black tea
I very much doubt anyone here is going to be able to alleviate your health anxiety, unfortunately

I agree as even CBT hasn’t worked but if I have been having throat/breathing symptoms and then had spirometry tests (which the doctor recommended to reassure me) which have actually shown upper airway obstruction the issue isn’t just anxiety is it. Surely many others would worry too.
On the other hand your username reminded me to have a cup of tea, which always helps, thankyou
Reply 6
I agree as even CBT hasn’t worked but if I have been having throat/breathing symptoms and then had spirometry tests (which the doctor recommended to reassure me) which have actually shown upper airway obstruction the issue isn’t just anxiety is it. Surely many others would worry too.

Anxiety can certainly contribute. But you need to talk to your doctor about this, no one here can give you proper advice.
Reply 7
On the other hand your username reminded me to have a cup of tea, which always helps, thankyou

Haha enjoy :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest