The Student Room Group

How disabled do you need to be to claim disability benefits

I live with a medical student who claims £700 a month in PIP due to adhd, POTs and fibromyalgia. They also get almost free taxis on DSA to and from uni.

They have a full social life, going out at nights a few times a week. They also work weekends as a HCA . Also they confided in me that by and large all of their ADHD symptoms are relieved by medication, their ADHD is eminently treatable. They use no mobility aids.

I fear that they may be misrepresenting the nature of their disability to the DWP and SFE. What to do?
im not quite sure but adhd medication can change a person a lot like they will find it easyer to sit still consontrate and control there behaver
Reply 2
Original post by Diseasability
I live with a medical student who claims £700 a month in PIP due to adhd, POTs and fibromyalgia. They also get almost free taxis on DSA to and from uni.

They have a full social life, going out at nights a few times a week. They also work weekends as a HCA . Also they confided in me that by and large all of their ADHD symptoms are relieved by medication, their ADHD is eminently treatable. They use no mobility aids.

I fear that they may be misrepresenting the nature of their disability to the DWP and SFE. What to do?

Its not about how disabled you are, its about how the illness affects you. You dont have to need mobility aids, and you can still have a life.

POTS can be aweful as fare as im aware and can be really disruptive to life. And fibromyalgia is horrible. Chronic pain is no joke.
When you have chronic illnesses you learn to live slightly different so you can fo those things.
I have fibro, and although i dont flare like i used to, but i used to work full time and be in agony, but just because i was in agony doesnt mean i couldnt work or have a life.

Its not up to you to decide if what benefits they should be getting

What to do? Mind your business.
Fibromyalgia by itself is horrendous. Fair play to your housemate for maintaining all that alongside their studies.
Original post by lissy frankee
im not quite sure but adhd medication can change a person a lot like they will find it easyer to sit still consontrate and control there behaver

easier; concentrate; *behaviour
Reply 6

What to do? Educate yourself on your ableism?

I also am a recipient of PIP for PoTS, ADHD, HSD, and 7 other "hidden" medical conditions. I get around £270 a month. For them to receive £700 they must be on the highest rate for both daily living and mobility. It is literally not possible to "dupe" DWP into giving you this, there are many more examples of disabled people being denied PIP on technicalities where after going to tribunal, 75% of the decisions are overturned.

You have to give pages and pages of evidence from doctors, consultants, family/friends... It is illegal for a doctor to lie about your medical condition on an official document. Then you have a 2 hour assessment where they can see if you're "lying" or not in person.

Sounds like you're just jealous that someone is receiving more money than you. I challenge you to live a day in the life of this person and I promise you that £700 doesn't even come close to how challenging that is.

Quick Reply

Latest