The Student Room Group

Applying for personal independence payment (PIP)

Can someone please advise me have depression and anxiety due to childhood trauma. I have never claimed pip before but now my mental health is soo bad I get nightmares. I travel by public transport to work but since I started getting flashbacks my family takes me to work.

I am on therapy as well but I’m anxious about applying not sure if I will get anything
Reply 1
You can get PIP for mental health issues, the best way to do this is to talk with various local support services and charities - Disability Rights UK is one I found to be particularly helpful or Citizens advice.
There are also online guides that I sugget you read through as it can be quite challenging to get points. Also make sure you have clear evidence letters from medical professionalslisting diagnosis, it is particuarly helpful if you can get ones which explain how it affects your daily life.
Talk to these charities which can eb really helpful but please know you can 100% get PIP for mental health issues it is just not well known due to people not applying.
I would also write a practice application before your real one comes from the DWP as it can often take a whiel for the application to arrive by post so it is much more helpful to know in advance what you are going to write.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by alliewill05
You can get PIP for mental health issues, the best way to do this is to talk with various local support services and charities - Disability Rights UK is one I found to be particularly helpful or Citizens advice.
There are also online guides that I sugget you read through as it can be quite challenging to get points. Also make sure you have clear evidence letters from medical professionalslisting diagnosis, it is particuarly helpful if you can get ones which explain how it affects your daily life.
Talk to these charities which can eb really helpful but please know you can 100% get PIP for mental health issues it is just not well known due to people not applying.
I would also write a practice application before your real one comes from the DWP as it can often take a whiel for the application to arrive by post so it is much more helpful to know in advance what you are going to write.
Hope this helps :smile:

In regards to evidence do I need to speak to my GP as they referred me for therapy?
thank you so much for your reply I’m just at a very bad place and everything is so overwhelming
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
In regards to evidence do I need to speak to my GP as they referred me for therapy?
thank you so much for your reply I’m just at a very bad place and everything is so overwhelming

Yes, GP letters are ideal, don't worry about having an appointment to get letters for any benefits applications they spend a lot of their job doing these kinds of things. You can also ask for a letter from your therapist - sometimes they can't write letters it just depends on the service but its worth giving it a go. It can be super overwhelming to apply for PIP I know firsthand but if you try talking to your school's SEND team or if you are in university your universities Disability and Wellbeing team they can help you as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending