The Student Room Group

revision technique questions

i’m currently in year 12 doing cs maths and physics, i’m at about a B in maths and physics but struggle with computing and am currently sitting at an E mainly due to the theory side of things, i spent alot of my time focused on the code side as we switched from python to java but neglected theory and am now unsure how to go about learning the missed content, for maths and physics i tend to do practice papers and blurt equations but i’m not super sure how to retain a lot of the theory in cs, ive heard flash cards are good but i struggle making them and i feel like it only makes me parrot the information and not actually get an understanding of the concepts if that makes sense?i’ve heard taking notes is pretty useless unless you know what your doing so im just wondering if there are any resources that actually help me understand the theory and if flash cards are the way then are there any digital apps for it instead of having to carry round a fat stack of paper.
Reply 1
I always think that understanding is the key. If you understand the theory, you will remember it and you will also be able to work out what questions are asking you to do.
So...as memorising stuff can be done without understanding, it is not that helpful except for details like names and dates and stuff like that.
When I used to revise for exams, I would walk around the house lecturing the furniture, i.e. if you can explain things off the top of your head, or at least try to - if you really struggle to do this, it tells you you don;t know or understand enough, so you need to go back to your notes, and then rinse and repeat.
Not quite sure how this would work with your subject area, but I'm sure there will be a way.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
I always think that understanding is the key. If you understand the theory, you will remember it and you will also be able to work out what questions are asking you to do.
So...as memorising stuff can be done without understanding, it is not that helpful except for details like names and dates and stuff like that.
When I used to revise for exams, I would walk around the house lecturing the furniture, i.e. if you can explain things off the top of your head, or at least try to - if you really struggle to do this, it tells you you don;t know or understand enough, so you need to go back to your notes, and then rinse and repeat.
Not quite sure how this would work with your subject area, but I'm sure there will be a way.

i’ve never really thought about putting the information in to a sort of teachable format, il definitely give it a shot though thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending