The Student Room Group

Accomodations

Where does one live in 2nd year? I’m a law student at the Uni of Nottingham but I’ve found most people to have come with their friend groups so it’s been hard to meet new people let alone anyone to live with. Do most second year students live off campus?
Hi there,

Some universities offer student accommodation to all students, whereas others offer student rooms only to 1st year students.

Reach out to your university's accommodation services and ask whether it would be possible for a 2nd year to live in student halls. Or if they help students look for private accommodation.

If not, there are numerous FaceBook groups or websites like SpareRoom, OpenRent or Ideal Flatmate, where numerous students are looking for available rooms or other students to live with them.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Original post by rgdack
Where does one live in 2nd year? I’m a law student at the Uni of Nottingham but I’ve found most people to have come with their friend groups so it’s been hard to meet new people let alone anyone to live with. Do most second year students live off campus?

Hi,

Generally, most do live off campus but it's not unusual to stay on campus especially if you like it! I'd say your options are:

Get in contact with your university accommodation team and ask about staying where you are for another year, you may be put with people in second year and above doing the same thing or you may be with people in their first year. If you have a preference about this then that'd be a good thing to ask.

Go for private student accommodation where you will have a private room and ensuite and share a kitchen.

Rent with friends (honestly if you start bringing it up to people on your course you'll probably find people to share with, I'm sure a lot of people are in the same situation but too scared to ask)

Or you can rent by yourself

There may also be other options but I know people doing all of the above and really it's down to personal preference. No one is going to think differently of you whether you're still in halls or renting a place. I hope this helps a bit and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Original post by rgdack

Hi there,
As the other posters have outlined, you've got a range of options when it comes to where to live for your second year of uni. Why not make a list of pros and cons for the following:

University owned accommodation - reach out to your university accommodation and ask if it's possible to return for your second year. There may be limited availability.

Private student houses - find friends to live with and speak to Estate Agents or decide to look for a spare room (e.g. on Facebook or sites like Spare Room and The Student Room)

Private student accommodation - e.g. Student Roost. Find your flatmates and book an en-suite flat together or book on your own and request to live with other second years. You could even opt for your own studio!

Hope this helps.

-Nicky
Hello,

In my experience, for my first year I decided to live in University accommodation as I am an International student and I was not familiar with the city. I also didn't have any of my friends coming with me therefore I thought it was a great opportunity to meet some people.

I met a lot of people through accommodation events, but for my second year I decided to get my own place as I enjoyed having my own kitchen to be able to cook and meal prep. At the time the different in rent was maybe an extra £10 per month compared to student accommodation so it was worth it.

Best of luck,
Haya - MBBS V

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending