The Student Room Group

Westminster uni - law grades

So I got 35% in a coursework module (essay) and I’m resitting it, and 45% in an exam for a different module and now I’m so nervous about all my other assessments.
My grades last year were all 50-70% and I was genuinely so confident for second year.

I really want to get a first or atleast a 2:1. But tbh now i think I’d be lucky even with a 2:2. Is there still a chance I could get a 2:1 atleast?
Original post by Anonymous
So I got 35% in a coursework module (essay) and I’m resitting it, and 45% in an exam for a different module and now I’m so nervous about all my other assessments.
My grades last year were all 50-70% and I was genuinely so confident for second year.

I really want to get a first or atleast a 2:1. But tbh now i think I’d be lucky even with a 2:2. Is there still a chance I could get a 2:1 atleast?

In terms of your degree classification, Westminster base it on your best 220 credits across Level 5 and Level 6 (i.e second and third year) - so they disregard your worst 20 credits - and then weight Level 5 at 1/3 and Level 6 at 2/3. So one of the two results you've just got back will likely be disregarded anyway, and the other will have minimal impact. (See section 7.3 within Part 5 of their Handbook of Academic Regulations 2023 for details.)

So don't worry about the effect these will have had on your chances of a 2:1 (or even a first). Instead, look ahead to the remainder of this year, and to next year. Focus on why things aren't going so well this year. Have you taken you foot off the gas? Is the work harder? Is it being marked more harshly?

Have you received feedback on how your an improve what you've produced so far? Does that feedback make sense? Are you in a position to follow the advice given? Have you spoken with your personal tutor, or sought the help with Study Skills and Training? If not, then do so. Take action to turn this around! :smile:
Reply 2
Ohh so I still have a chance at getting a 1st even? The lowest would be 45 and 40 but 40 would be from the resit so I’m not sure if it would be discarded or if it would still be counted in. I’ve been through the handbook but it didn’t quite answer my question of whether getting a 2:1 or a 1st is still possible. I genuine thought I’d messed up. I have spoken to my personal tutor and been through the feedback that was given. And yes it makes sense and I have an idea of where and how I went wrong. But thank you so muchhh!! This was so reassuring!!
Original post by Anonymous
Ohh so I still have a chance at getting a 1st even? The lowest would be 45 and 40 but 40 would be from the resit so I’m not sure if it would be discarded or if it would still be counted in. I’ve been through the handbook but it didn’t quite answer my question of whether getting a 2:1 or a 1st is still possible. I genuine thought I’d messed up. I have spoken to my personal tutor and been through the feedback that was given. And yes it makes sense and I have an idea of where and how I went wrong. But thank you so muchhh!! This was so reassuring!!

As to your key question of "whether getting a 2:1 or a 1st is still possible", it is absolutely still possible! And, just for the avoidance of doubt, yes you "still have a chance at getting a 1st even". :smile:

That's what I meant when I said that the two marks you'd posted will either be disregarded or will have very little impact. You just need to work out why your marks are lower then expected and get better marks going forward.

From what you've said (in terms of feedback and your personal tutor) who have a good idea how to sort things out. So go for it! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending