The Student Room Group

My parents have a good income but cannot help me with finances

My parents earn a bit over 70k a year together and I can apply for student finances but I wouldn't recieve enough to support myself. They cannot support me as we are constantly in debt, I never see their bank account not in the minus. Is there anything I can apply to or do that would help me out in a situation like this? I'm willing to work during uni to cover costs. I've already been working at a pub for the past year but I don't want to work so much that it becomes a detriment to my school work.
Take a gap year (or two) and start saving is your best option.

Your only other options if you don’t want your household income to be based on your parents income is to
- wait until you’re 25
- support yourself financially for 3 years
- break off all contact with your parents permanently
- have (or adopt) a child
- be orphaned
- get married/civil partnered

The second and last are the most practical if you don’t think you can save up enough in a year or two.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Take a gap year (or two) and start saving is your best option.

Your only other options if you don’t want your household income to be based on your parents income is to
- wait until you’re 25
- support yourself financially for 3 years
- break off all contact with your parents permanently
- have (or adopt) a child
- be orphaned
- get married/civil partnered

The second and last are the most practical if you don’t think you can save up enough in a year or two.

Yeah I think a gap year would be best then especially since I already have a job I can just request more hours in, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending